Lifemapper on a dual

When I fired up the install routine, it talked about uninstalling the existing instance so I stopped.

Can you run multiple instances - if so, how?

Short version:

Shut down the running instance (lock file must be deleted than), copy the lifemapper dir w/o subdirs into a new dir.
Check for JobPacket files and delete them.
Fire up lifemapper in both dirs. The second instance will use/share the reg keys and subdirs from the orig install.

and to make things more interesting - run three instances and use task manager to set the affinity of two of them, one to each cpu, then the 15% or so for each cpu that lifemapper uses gets used as well.

but I’m sure you thought of that one already :wink:

DT.

Make sure to space the instances in time a bit (like ~10 minutes). Otherwise they are both likely to compute the same species. For example, start the first, wait 10 minutes, start the second.

More here.
Cheers, Lm

I have problems when I start them one-two(like in the same second or two). You know when it happens because the screens jump between the two instances even though you only try to look at one of them. I’ve also noticed that this slows the processes down and sometimes crashes out.

Like you’ve said though, spacing out the start seems to take care of this. I only wait ~10 seconds though but that seems to work for me.

Originally posted by Len
[B]Short version:

Shut down the running instance (lock file must be deleted than), copy the lifemapper dir w/o subdirs into a new dir.
Check for JobPacket files and delete them.
Fire up lifemapper in both dirs. The second instance will use/share the reg keys and subdirs from the orig install. [/B]

I keep getting an error, from both instances:

When it says “Connecting to Lifemapper server to get next species”, it then comes up with

Error
Could not load dataset

On both instances so I can’t run either now:eek: :confused:

:confused: too

Only time I had an error like that was after a crash/forced stop process. Reason was the lock file left in the dir of the lifemapper instance. After deleting the lock.dat it was working again.

I found the lock.dat file and deleted both instances

I found the JobPacket.dat and deleted those.

Since then, it won’t work at all.

Even tried putting both of them back in, from the recycle bin and it still refuses to work.

Guess I’ll have to delete it all and reinstall:confused:

At least I won’t be losing anything:rolleyes: