Linux Media server for PS3

I did some preliminary googling for running a Linux system as a PS3 Media server then promptly lost all the bookmarks.

Has anybody got something like this running already?

A likely candidate seems to be http://fuppes.ulrich-voelkel.de/

Never heard of DLNA before but its my latest ETLA
For non penguin types there are other DLNA servers to be had
http://www.rbgrn.net/blog/2007/08/how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-software-in-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux.html

Would twonkymedia work? Standard on slugs…

I got my PS3 playing stuff stored on a Vista box running Intel Viiv. Only snag is Viiv software seems limited to certain Intel chipsets. For media playback I prefer the MCE interface of Vista over that of the PS3 though…

only works with media player 11.
dont think I have a single system with media player 11 hence the linux interest

Righto, it works

Based on the premise of “it worked for me and heres what I think I did to make it work” is a minimal guide to accessing whats on a PC from your PS3

PC: Generic Athlon64 3200 with 1Gb ram running FedoraCore 6
PS3: wireless attached

On the PC
yum install ushare (it also fetched dependancies for uPNP libraries)
mkdir /ushare
Drag and drop some content into /ushare

iptables stop
ushare -d -c /ushare

I also enabled uPNP on my router as the PS3 was saying no uPNP was available.
Now I can watch a grainy video clip of DuranDuran Girls On Film.MPG on a really big screen.
Yay, I think.

The next step is to modify the firewall config to allow uPNP to work rather than just turning everything off.

No, the next step is to get hold of some content which won’t look cwap on a big screen :wink: But in that you are limited by the file formats which PS3 supports - e.g. a lot of good hi-def stuff is packaged in Matroska format but I do believe PS3 does not support it.

And the step after that is needing more storage :chuckle:

And the step after that is needing more more storage :chuckle: :chuckle:

Main server 1.4Tb - full
4 x slugs 1.8Tb total - 2/3 full
Various USB externals - full

Erm, don’t know what you mean…

Shuttle 1.8 TB, 2/3 full
External storage 1.0 TB very nearly full

Imagine my surprise to find the test system only has a 10Gb disk

Cant decide to use ebay or ebuyer

I’m surprised how cheap disks have gotten since I last looked. I’m overdue replacing everything 250 or smaller with some 500s I think…

USB external 500s are £50-odd quid plus VAT at ebuyer ATM. That’s not much more than the cost of the disk itself. Plug in, symbolic link to /ushare and away you go :slight_smile:

Your not wrong about limited media formats.
So far its only interested in mp3 and mpg even with the latest OS update from Sony.

I have to say its picture display is excellent though, makes My Plums look enormous.

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

I was hoping to get one of the transcoding versions to work, but fuppes refuses to find its dependancies.

If you install the normal desktop video stuff for Fedora I’m guessing that would pull in 90% of the required libs?

The libs are there but I’m having to hand craft pkg-check.pc files so the flaming configure file will work.

I hold little expectation of it actually working afterwards :slight_smile:

use that old favourite make christknowswhat --install and go for a beer

Hi!
The url links provided are really useful!
Thanks…
:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=fire;430094]Hi!
The url links provided are really useful!
Thanks…
:)[/QUOTE]

If you get any transcoding versions to work I would like to know what you did.

The system I was using to test on blew up a few weeks ago along with three others so I’ll have to start again with building a Linux media server from scratch.
Probably Fedora core again just a slightly newer version.