Linux Security products

Was bored this afternoon and whilst rummaging around, I found a copy of Fedora 10 I downloaded a while back and decided to install it on my spare machine. Absolute doddle to install, took about 15 minutes!!! :cool:

Anyway just wondering if anyone can advise on a suitable free firewall and AV that I could pop on this machine for testing please. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

there’s a firewall built in on Fedora, or rather a IPTABLES manager.

Clamav is the scanner of choice, but tbh, there are so few threats to a linux box I don’t bother.

Welcome to the easy computing OS :wink:

DT.

Cheers DT. I was going to install a copy of OpenSUSE 11 that I was given recently, but the disc is blank :rolleyes: Going to play with Fedora, but might try OpenSUSe later as I was quite impressed when I played with it at my training centre. Has some great features and Mahjonng in the games.

This copy of Fedora does not have Open Office either which is a bit of a shame. I know I can install it, but I would have expected it to come as standard. No big issue though.

not sure if there’s a gui for iptables, but a while back I used to do lots of manual editing for a complex iptables setup (about 4 different networks firewalling between the lot) so shout if you need a hand :slight_smile:

I haven’t found any of that yet. I thought I’d start with something simple like updating Firefox. Had a bit of trouble, but after extracting it I copied it to my Home folder and set up a quick launch icon pointing to the new executable. Haven’t quite worked out where the original link came from, but I’ll have a look later.

SuSe has a complex firewall , if you want to share files via SAMBA it takes a lot of configuring to let things trough , if you want trouble free crunching on Linux - Ubuntu is hard to beat for plug and play ease of setup .

How about BOINC setup? I’ve installed the BOINC client through the installation manager and it won’t let me attach to a client (it just does nothing). Is BOINC easier to install through Ubuntu?

the last time I looked, the Boinc installation from the installed software GUI was well out of date, download and run the .rpm file (I think there is one).

It’s been a while since I’ve used Fedora, now having Redhat developer installs. I forget how much is taken on the cross from paid to free.

DT.

I’ve downloaded Ubuntu 9.1 so I’ll wipe the drive and load this instead tomorrow. Nice to see the differences between the various flavours and I liked Ubuntu the last time I installed it. Be prepared for more stupid questions tomorrow. :chuckle:

You can always install the Ubuntu configured version through package manager - normally a bit down level, or Download the recommended version from BOINC itself to your desktop , install using the sh command. no need for root or sudo - only makes its permissions Root only, a real pain . copy and paste the run_manager file from the created BOINC folder to your desktop , make sure its executable ( right click - properties - permissions ) away you go - simples.

Cheers Mortlake. I’ll give it a go when I’ve installed Ubuntu :thumbsup:

The Linux gui does not auto-attach from memory, so you need to “Select computer”, pick “localhost” from the drop-down box, and get the password from gui_rpc_auth.cfg in your BOINC directory. If I remember correctly this is a “feature” of linux BOINC so probably applies to Ubuntu as well.

Ubuntu and Fedora share many features as they are both part of the red hat stable, there is an add/remove packages applet in system|administration from memory (will let you add openoffice etc), also a gui for iptables and selinux.

HTH

It didn’t say that in the instructions so I’ll give it go. Thanks Martin :thumbsup: I did find the add-remove app and loaded some games to test it and then removed and re-added BOINC as well, but cause I didn’t do the select computer thingy I guess that’s why it would not attach. :rolleyes: Oh well, the learning curve is flattening out somewhat :smiley:

Must have been either the problem Mojo stated or a corrupt install. Installed Ubuntu and then BOINC from the package manager and it installed and came straight up with the attach to project option. Currently running OK in Ubuntu 9.1. I still like this interface and I am going to play with it some more. Unlike Fedora (finally realised something Fedora - Red Hat, Doh!), Open Office was installed as a matter of course, plus other options too.