List Needed

9550 is getting tired, so Mandy has agreed I can start a rig from scratch. With the limitation being I have to wait till March to start and I have to buy no more then a couple pieces a week.
Due to spending funds on the 965.

The only thing I’m sure of is the cpu is going to be
Phenom X6 1100t

I’m going to use 64bit Win 7 for the OS

So I need a list of not necessarily top price, but best for a reasonable price.

Motherboard
Video Card
Hard Drive

Hard drive I would split into something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247005 for a boot drive and this drive http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804 as your main data drive. Both get good reviews and the SSD gets a big :thumbsup: from one of the guys at work as a super fast boot drive

Looks good to me also.

So how about motherboard, I have real ignorance when it come to such in that category.

For a motherboard I’ve been eyeing up this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/218937 Gets good reviews and I like the sexy look of it too. It will take your X6 Phenom core and gives you good scope for adding RAM too

Graphics card wise, it depends on your budget. Reviews wise this is a bit pricey but gets good thumbsup from PCFORMAT mag.
Zotac GeForce GTX 470 and it runs CUDA too. Moreso used as a gaming card, but will crunch quite well I’m told.

Thanks, I’ll look at them.

NewEgg has this combo…I’m considering a similar build, just trying to decide between an AMD X6 Black edition or an i7, leaning toward AMD as all my power machines run PhenomII Quads and I’ve never had any questions about their durability:trophy:

and this board will take 2 ATI 5850 (± $175 each) GPU’s in Crossfire (1+1=3)…For GPU crunching ATI is the Bang for the Buck hands down in my opinion

I like that bundle. Good one Sport!

[QUOTE=Sport;458478]NewEgg has this combo…I’m considering a similar build, just trying to decide between an AMD X6 Black edition or an i7, leaning toward AMD as all my power machines run PhenomII Quads and I’ve never had any questions about their durability:trophy:
[/QUOTE]

Value for money wise AMD’s are an excellent choice for crunchers… I got my 1055T (2.8GHz) clocked to 3.35GHz nice and stable just by tweaking FSB… And it is competing with Intel Xeons for RAC.

Well had to go to the doctor today, came back and found the 9550 dead.
Not sure what happen, steps taken to get it to start.

1. Cursed
  2. Cursed Louder
  3. Hit the box
  4. Cursed while hitting the box.
  5. Had a cup of coffee and whined a little.
  6. Unplugged and plugged it back in… ok that worked.

Unseasonable hot temperatures today and running BOINC wide open, what do you think an overheated issue. (comp clean, no dust bunnies)
Back-up battery never intervened.

Well maybe this will just help move the new rig I am wanting a little faster.

How long has it been since you replaced the thermal interface between the CPU and the heatsink?

EDIT Other thought: You say the case is clean with no dust bunnies, but do you blow out the inside of the PSU?

[QUOTE=Vortex;458563]Well had to go to the doctor today, came back and found the 9550 dead.
Not sure what happen, steps taken to get it to start.

1. Cursed
  2. Cursed Louder
  3. Hit the box
  4. Cursed while hitting the box.
  5. Had a cup of coffee and whined a little.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

[QUOTE=Egad;458567]How long has it been since you replaced the thermal interface between the CPU and the heatsink?

EDIT Other thought: You say the case is clean with no dust bunnies, but do you blow out the inside of the PSU?[/QUOTE]

Been about two years (re: thermal grease pack), and shamefully have to say not in a long long time (re PSU)… bows head in shame.

Yet I do clean the box out weekly using an O2 tank with about 2000 PSI. I have broke a fan before. LMAO

:lol: Too much pressure!!! :smiley:

CPU purchased! Phenom II 100T BE

Need MOBO suggestions. No onboard video. Which brings me to that. . . Keep in mind I do a lot of video processing and photo work. That is a must do welll req.

Keeping my purchases from Newegg at the moment would prefer.

Will be using 64 bit Win 7 for OS