Looking for help...

on how to remove specific email addresses in Outlook Express that are not in the address book?

If I click an initial into the “To” line of an email, all of the people with that initial come up for me to choose which one I want. The problem is everyone I have ever sent an email to with that initial as well as the ones in my address book come up. I may have sent for plants for example or a competition on the radio or whatever so that address is locked in. I now have loads of email addresses which I don’t want and no way can I delete them. I’ve tried to right click and also highlight and delete but nothing works. They aren’t actually in the address book or I would have been able to do it.

Any and all help appreciated.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100978871033.aspx#2

I’ve been asked this one a fair few times, and when moving people to new laptops as the file this is all held in is different location to the .pst

hth,

DT.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the quick reply… have passed it on and will wait for the outcome?

ah, whoops - just missed that you said Outlook Express :frowning:

In express, all you can do is reset to start again, by deleting the .nk2 files

DT.

No problem DT. I was given another link by a friend which highlights the .nk2 files and that you can delete particular files…

His post is as follows:-

Quote:
Search Windows for any *.nk2 files, then simply delete the ones you don’t want. These files are stored in a hidden folder, so you may need to enable the Explorer option ‘Show hidden files and folders’ before you can find them.

If i remember correctly (not using OE myself), the path to the folder is something like this:

Quote:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities{some_SID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I think you can circumvent any hidden folders setting by simply typing this into the address field of a Windows Explorer window:

Quote:
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

…and from there the choice of sub-folders should be very limited.

Hopefully this may help others in the future?

In regular Outlook you just highlight the address you want to delete and hit the Delete button.

Well thanks for that. Something I wanted to do as well :slight_smile:

Or you can use this nifty tool for editing nk2 files http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html