Looking for ideas for a media centre PC

I’m trying to build a special PC to store and play DVDs and CDs on. I have a 2tb external at the mo storing the digital info, but I want a dedicated PC to hold the data in a RAID1 set up as a failsafe. It doesn’t need a GPU, just a mobo with an HDMI port to connect to a TV HDMI port for audio AND video, USB 3 ports, 2x 2tb Hard drives in RAID1, SATA3 connectors, a good processor, decent RAM and a DVD drive. I have the DVD drive and a suitable case and what I’m looking at so far is:

Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H A85X Socket FM2 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard

AMD A8 5500 3.2GHz Socket FM2 4MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory (2x4gb)

2xSeagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive in Raid1

Haven’t looked at cooling, but stock cooling should be OK initially. Might need to change if it’s too noisy. Same with PSU. Not looked at that until the other components are decided, but probably looking at a 650W unit.

Any thoughts on the above ideas or suggestions on additions or changes, pitfalls, etc. It’s not going to be used for gaming just as a media centre and surf machine through a 40" Samsung full HD telly which does not have a line-in socket or SPDIF, just HDMI and VHS/Scart component sockets so all the sound and video has to come via the HDMI socket (I can’t afford a new telly :slight_smile: )

I await your thoughts

Looks a decent enough spec for what you want. A for cooling how about something like a Corsair Hydro cooler, something like the H50.The standard AMD cooler will be too noisy.

That’s what the Revooers seemed to think about the cooler too, so I’ll have a look at the Corsair. Cheers Fiend