Looking for software

I’m looking for software that will detect when I insert a USB flash drive, format it and copy a pre-determined set of files/folders to it.

It’s for a kiosk type setup for a function I’m doing the technical stuff for. I know I could simply hand out the flash drives with the stuff already on it but I would prefer it to be interactive.

The files to be copied would be a set of images and a few music tracks.

Would be nice if there was an indicator bar of some sort that would tell the user when the copy was done or how far along it was.

If someone can develop something like this and gurantee it to work I am prepared to pay for it as long as it’s not an exhorbitant ammount.

Probably run on Win7 and they will be given flash drives when they arrive as part of their gift packs. Someone will be running around the venue taking pics and uploading them so as they’re added people can either wait until they leave to get everything copied to their flash drives or simply pop it in every 30 minutes and get formatted and re-copied.

I would assume a dual monitor setup with the app running in front and the OS screen at the back so the photographer can upload to the pictures folder without interferring.

Another thing is it would need to listen on only 1 or 2 ports as the photographer would need to use a USB port to upload the pictures and we don’t want his camera getting wiped.

Is something like this not scriptable within windows ? I’m sure the dificult bit would be spotting the insertion of the device, then it’s check the name of the device to ensure its a valid stick, format, then copy the files over.

Damski

Sent from my Adam using Tapatalk

It’s probably possible but I have no idea how to do it. I’m sure it would be pretty simple in Java or .Net

Lots of C & .NET for USB insert code. I would setup two computer one for the PHOTO person with a cable (crossover) to say a MINI with USB. Just have the Photo person save into local have a timer tool copy over into second unit and off load the process there. Then the process would be whatever is in the system that is what is moved to USB. You can even make a FLASH loop for them to watch the opens when insert starts. I would just google the USB insert C code…and remaining is scripts or VB.

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)

Const WM_DEVICECHANGE As Integer = &H219
Const DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL As Integer = &H8000
    Const DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE As Integer = &H8004&

MyBase.WndProc(m)

If m.Msg = WM_DEVICECHANGE Then
 ' Device inserted

' Identify the device type from the parameters given with the message
 ' and do your funky stuff, e.g.
 Select Case m.WParam.ToInt32
     Case DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL
         ' Insertion
     Case DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE
         ' Removal
 End Select

End If

End Sub

This code should work for USB insert and CD insert also. Found on a site for you.

[QUOTE=STEP2000;459534]Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)

Const WM_DEVICECHANGE As Integer = &H219
Const DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL As Integer = &H8000
    Const DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE As Integer = &H8004&

MyBase.WndProc(m)

If m.Msg = WM_DEVICECHANGE Then
 ' Device inserted

' Identify the device type from the parameters given with the message
 ' and do your funky stuff, e.g.
 Select Case m.WParam.ToInt32
     Case DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL
         ' Insertion
     Case DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE
         ' Removal
 End Select

End If

End Sub

This code should work for USB insert and CD insert also. Found on a site for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, what do I do with it :blush:

If auto run is enabled for the USB devices

Just have a batchfile on the USB that initiates a batchfile routine on the PC

Batch file on PC then Formats
Copies files
and places new batchfile on USB drive ready for next time.

[QUOTE=PMM;459628]If auto run is enabled for the USB devices

Just have a batchfile on the USB that initiates a batchfile routine on the PC

Batch file on PC then Formats
Copies files
and places new batchfile on USB drive ready for next time.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. As far as I know, autorun for usb drives is disabled in Windows 7 - least, I could never get it to work. If it helps, I’ve found this over at http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21585-usb-autorun-w7.html -Tho’ I haven’t tried it yet…

Edit:- tried the script on that forum, but because the usb stick I used was partitioned into two drives, it tried to look at the first drive letter and the powershell script crashed. The proggy I wanted to run was on the second partition. I’m not that confident editing scripts, but I will look at it later.

Might be worth keeping in mind that someone might divide the drive up. That script might work if the main stuff is on the first partition tho’. Too busy to check at the mo’ :wink:

Also, changing permissions on win 7 using gpedit.msc (at least, under Win 7 Ultimate) doesn’t seem to work.