M$ to issue emergency patch for IE

Microsoft has announced that it will be issuing an emergency out-of-band patch for a critical security hole in some versions of Internet Explorer on Tuesday 30 March 2010.

According to a Microsoft advisory, the emergency fix is designed to protect users of Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Explorer 7. Users of Internet Explorer 8 and Windows 7 are not vulnerable to attacks.

A malicious or compromised website could be used as an attack vector for this vulnerability so it is very important for users to be cautious during web browsing. Particular caution should be taken when considering following web-links received via email, instant messaging or in documents from unknown individuals or that look in any way suspicious. Given the unpatched nature of this vulnerability and the popular use of the affected versions of Internet Explorer SophosLabs have assigned this issue a threat level of high.

Microsoft normally bundles its security updates into a monthly package, known in the industry as “Patch Tuesday” (the second Tuesday of each month), and it is relatively unusual for the company to issue a fix for a security vulnerability outside of this cycle. Clearly Microsoft considers the bug particularly important to patch as soon as possible.

The emergency update, which will be numbered MS10-018, will be a cumulative update addressing nine other vulnerabilities in IE that were originally planned for release on the coming April 2010 ‘Patch Tuesday’. Each of the ten updates in MS10-018 will be listed as ‘Critical’ by Microsoft, and they expect them to hit systems by 1:00 p.m. EST on March 30 - that’s around 5:00 p.m. in the United Kingdom.

[QUOTE=Lonely;451573] Users of Internet Explorer 8 and Windows 7 are not vulnerable to attacks.

[/QUOTE]
Strange my patch said it was for IE8
Guess they forgot to mention that too.

Strange my patch is not needed for Safari! :chuckle:

Can’t really say it matters much to me either. Don’t remember the last time I used IE.

Now this Safari thing… You been out in the sun to long:D
I’M a P.C!

Well everyone has their flaws.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Vortex;451613]Can’t really say it matters much to me either. Don’t remember the last time I used IE.

Now this Safari thing… You been out in the sun to long:D
I’M a P.C!

Well everyone has their flaws.:)[/QUOTE]

Well it is Arizona!

You should try a MAC, you will be a convert!

Started off on MAC’s many moons ago when I worked for the Oklahoma Press Association. When I open my printing business I used both, MAC’s mainly for the graphic end. Somehow I ended up with a house full of PC’s and just to much equipment and programs to go back. Stuck in MS world now. I did love MAC’s though.

I tried a MAC once, way back when, but the grease put me off, plus the bun it came in was soggy. As for the waitress, in her eye there was some matter which kept dripping in the batter and she whistled while the snot ran down her nose. :wink:

Did you get enough sleep dear…
Seem a little on the nutty side today:D
How are you doing BTW.

[QUOTE=Vortex;451619]Did you get enough sleep dear…
Seem a little on the nutty side today:D
How are you doing BTW.[/QUOTE]

In a lot of pain. If I keep taking the tablets and crack a few jokes and a few whisky’s from the jar… I’ll be OK.

Guess I have missed something hon. Why are you in pain?