modest upgrade requirements

hey hey

so many of you will no doubt call my current PC retro but these days I’m into getting the most from my expense :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m running a single Gainwood 9600GT card which has been fine for a while but is now struggling a bit with WoW and the detail turned up. Is there a decent replacement card (2nd hand is fine) that will be noticably better and cost less than say £75?

Similarly I have a Q6600 CPU. I don’t want to change the board etc. etc. What should I look for to replace it at reasonable cost???

cheers all :slight_smile:

that’s close to a second hand GTX 460

When I last looked at upgrading my Q6600 what was available wasn’t that cost effective compared to just restarting a new box. However things might have changed and there were definitely higher quads that can fit that generation mobo. Check your mobo for compatibility and hit the likes of ebay for what’s available.

iMHO you’d be better off keeping the CPU and spending more than 75 on a second hand card. Get the best gfx card you can.

You don’t have much upgrade potential over the q6600 other than swapping the board.

Butuz

cheers - I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 560Ti instead. Only £100 more than I expected :wink: … and then worse when I spent £200 on a new soundcard and headset !