@mojo+ Damski: Slug Errors

More Martin’s think I guess…

Trying to mount the Slug so I can rsync to it… It’ll mount with the command
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=guest,workgroup=Thornville //192.168.1.77/HDD_1_1_1 /mnt/Slug

And I can rsync into it if I use the command
sudo rsync -av /home/chris/Documents /mnt/Slug

Unfortunalty that wont run as a script through crontab whilst I’m asleep. (Unless I add it to crontab as the root user?)
It also wont let me browse to it in /mnt/Slug and delete files or add files. :frowning:

Yet using the Places > Network in Ubuntu (I guess it’s similiar in FC considering both are Gnome) I can copy paste and whathave I want.:frowning:

Am I doing something wrong?

Why guest? Why not use a real username. I would guess that’s your browse problem. If Ubuntu can do it (browse/manipulate files), then so can any other device/operating system capable of Samba provided it gives the right login credentials. You can always add a user to the Slug which has only the permissions per volume you require (read-only or whatever), if you feel a normal user has too much access.

Things to run as root should really be put in root’s crontab. But again if its mounted with a real username then you wouldn’t need to be root I guess (?)

It’s guest because it’s an NTFS partition and no user can be created on it. Formatting the drive as ext2 or ext3 means the thing wont show up, even though it’s in port 1. Other option is foregoing all the benefits of Unslung running on port 2 and unsling it to port 1 instead, allowing the disc to be ext3 and thus have users and stuff on.

Correct I can view in windows and create/delete no trouble but I wanted to run rsync to it to nightly backup. May grab a smaller HD caddy (say 40Gb or 60Gb) and connect that to the PC to run rsync to as TBH, I don’t want my documents on the network, open to all.

Tempted to buy another Slug, use this one as a server and various other bits (print server :)) whilst unslung and use the other as a storage device with Linksys firmware.

Will continue to play and see what I come up with.

EDIT:
Created a share on the USB stick I’m using as the root FS. With username and password
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=chris,password=****,workgroup=Thornville //192.168.1.77/chris /mnt/Slug
I still cant write to it as a normal user in Ubuntu. That is until I use the Ubuntu browsing way. Thus I still cant rsync files.

Linux can’t write to NTFS. That’s why it won’t work.

http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/ntfs/

Hmmmm.Now then this pesky NTFS issue.
I’ve had an idea but its a pre-coffee idea, probably malformed and causing more work than it solves.

Cygwin supports rsync and would run on the host PC allowing write access to NTFS without using SMB at all.

There is no host PC in the technically sense:ghey: It’s a NAS setup.

It’s writing to NTFS over a netowrk. As far as I was aware, the destination file system doesn’t matter a jot when your writing over the network. I do believe you said the same when I sent you a PM about the Slug.

And thats the thing, I can write one way but not the other.

Right…

You say you can mount it with your console sudo command.
Yet you say that this won’t let you browse etc - suggesting the mount works but guest permissions won’t allow any sort of access - in other words you can connect to it but once connected all doors are closed.

You say rsync works - as in what? Returns no errors? Copies new files? Are you reading from this drive or writing to it?

File browsing from workgroup lets you do what exactly? Because unless you have supplied some other default credentials to Konqueror (or whatever file browser you use) this still will be using guest privileges and should therefore have the same problems. Unless it prompts you for username when you attempt to browse the share?

Why have you got an NTFS partition on a Linux server which is designed to run ext3 filesystems and serve them to Samba clients like Windows - is there a pressing operational need for the disk to be NTFS?

Not being funny, just struggling to understand why one method seemingly works and one doesn’t.

What is “guest” allowed to do on the slug? (Use the Linksys interface to check not telnet/ssh/whatever)

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]Right…

You say you can mount it with your console sudo command.
Yet you say that this won’t let you browse etc - suggesting the mount works but guest permissions won’t allow any sort of access - in other words you can connect to it but once connected all doors are closed.[/QUOTE]
I can browse it in when mounted in /mnt/Slug, I just cant issue a command such as cp /home/chris/file.htm /mnt/Slug but sudo cp /home/chris/file.htm /mnt/Slug will work.

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]
You say rsync works - as in what? Returns no errors? Copies new files? Are you reading from this drive or writing to it?[/QUOTE]
Rsync still chucks a couple of errors up like cant change permissions but it will copy files across, as long as it’s run with the sudo command. Without sudo it says I dont have permission. Thats writing to the drive.

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]
File browsing from workgroup lets you do what exactly? Because unless you have supplied some other default credentials to Konqueror (or whatever file browser you use) this still will be using guest privileges and should therefore have the same problems. Unless it prompts you for username when you attempt to browse the share?[/QUOTE]
Using Nautilus and no, it doesn’t ask for any credentials getting into the folder at all. Trying to get into my website share (that is passworded and shared) does however ask me for my username and password. Therefore I’m entering as guest. Same as a Windows folder.

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]
Why have you got an NTFS partition on a Linux server which is designed to run ext3 filesystems and serve them to Samba clients like Windows - is there a pressing operational need for the disk to be NTFS?[/QUOTE]
I’ve got the disc as an NTFS because if it’s not NTFS, it doesn’t show up. I was under the impression that the Slug could take a disc on each port as ext3 but if I have this as any other format except NTFS, it wont show up (web interface says disc is installed but not formatted - could format with the slug itself, but that will mess around the unslung data). Haven’t tried it as FAT because that would restrict the files I can store on it.:frowning:

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]
Not being funny, just struggling to understand why one method seemingly works and one doesn’t. [/QUOTE]
I cant figure it out either :confused:

[QUOTE=Mojo;375238]
What is “guest” allowed to do on the slug? (Use the Linksys interface to check not telnet/ssh/whatever)[/QUOTE]
Guest counts as everybody on the web interface. For the partition in question, it has read and write permissions.