Motherboard swap Win 7 HP retail

Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to swap my Intel chipset MB for a Nvidia chipset MB + better CPU and that with the correct drivers it will sort itself out ? I can’t see anything in the eula that would make things difficult . I have always had OEM licences previously and so never attempted this before .

backup, backup and backup again :slight_smile:

I’ve done a motherboard swap with windows7 from a 754amd to a 939dual core amd, and it’s still running fine :eek:

With XP that would have been an instant bluescreen, 7 just seemed to sort itself out. Definately backup before attempting it though :slight_smile:

DT.

Think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick DT.

Retail licences can be moved as long as the max number of concurrent instances (usually 1) is not exceeded, OEM licences are tied to the motherboard.

Not tried migrating 7 yet but I found Vista to be less flexible than XP - a repair install will not correct a STOP 7B which is the most common issue with a chipset swap, I would presume 7 may be the same.

good to see you Mulda, and that’s both ends of the stick answered now :lol:

DT.

[QUOTE=Mulda;454768]Think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick DT.

Retail licences can be moved as long as the max number of concurrent instances (usually 1) is not exceeded, OEM licences are tied to the motherboard.

Not tried migrating 7 yet but I found Vista to be less flexible than XP - a repair install will not correct a STOP 7B which is the most common issue with a chipset swap, I would presume 7 may be the same.[/QUOTE]

I’ve done motherboard swaps with XP Home OEM and never had a problem.

I had a XP PRO swap and no issue from 939 Single core 4000 CHIP to 3 CORE 8650 without issue. I think when its from AMD to Intel you’ll have issues but AMD to AMD nothing I have seen here caused anything other than driver loads.