New around these parts

Hey there :slight_smile:

theres one, perhaps two familiar faces around here :slight_smile: anyway for those that dont know me, the names Wade :cool: mainly active around aria forums, come across these 'er parts whilst trawling through some old threads.

Done some previous crunching (folding@home) although stopped due to inefficiency of ATI cards and costs, looking to get back into it so what do you guys crunch?

i hear of this BOINC although having not been around for so long i dont have a clue what that is. By the looks of it many projects seem to be using it now, so any pointers as to where to get me started?

I have 3 systems up for a good thrashing, although will probably stick with just the file server for now until after january when the bank balance decides to go back up :Plot:

~iGoD

Thought the name looked familiar :smiley:

Welcome :tiphat:

Been a long time since I did any proper crunching… Good place to start is here :wink:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

welcome to the nuthouse matey :slight_smile:

DT.

Welcome to the madhouse… there’s a freshly cleaned cell waiting for you.

Time to don the :Pimp: hat…

May I suggest Docking… It is a medical research project at which we are doing quite well… as a team we’re sitting at #2. It is a CPU project rather than a GPU, so you don’t have to spend ridiculous amounts on graphics cards.

@DT… how about pimping some more Aria members to crunch for us???

hmmm i have BOINC running crunching on Docking. First WU should be done within the next hour or two. Still looking for a GPU project, you guys have any other teams which have GPU units? if not i’ll join the F@H team :slight_smile: not that a 5770 is going to crunch much for that.

Welcome to the TPR madhouse. iGod. :wave: Folding@Home is a good GPU project, but I’ve had issues with BOINC and Folding running together on the same machine regardless of how they are processing.

Welcome to TPR!! :cheers:

SETI is good for GPU if you want to stay on the BOINC platform.

SETI can only use NVIDIA - see http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/GPU_computing for ATI supported projects .
although the Folding team needs as much help as possible.

Welcome.

Seti is down right now. Folding@Home for GPU and Docking for CPU :slight_smile:

After getting a bit more linux experience into my head, i’ve just re-installed ubuntu server with no GUI, so should see an increase in ppd from the lonesome PentD 920. Also have started folding for F@H on the 5770.

Just waiting to sell up some of my current parts ready for sandy bridge, once done i’ll get that online as well.

nice one matey :slight_smile: We need to :Pimp: some more of the Aria forums, so much hardware and cpu power on those forums and yet sit idle :frowning: I know it costs a few pennies to run, but worthy in my opinion.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;457538]nice one matey :slight_smile: We need to :Pimp: some more of the Aria forums, so much hardware and cpu power on those forums and yet sit idle :frowning: I know it costs a few pennies to run, but worthy in my opinion.

DT.[/QUOTE]

So go and do some serious pimping DT!!!

Incidentally… remember my arguments about PSU’s over there… Well one of my “ancient” ones is still doing sterling service after recently replacing both fans… :agree:

And a couple of days ago, at work we managed to lose 3 “big name” PSU’s to a voltage spike where as some cheapos survived!!! We were lucky we had some replacements in stores as we were close to shutting the whole site down which would have cost the company millions in lost production

Well i have the SB online, will get some decent pics later, the ones i took weren’t very good, also getting a cooler today so should be able to hit nice 4.5Ghz i think, possibly pressing a little higher. Its hanging around 3.3k/PPD at stock (2500k) and the GPU seems to have sped up a noticeable difference compared to the i7, perhaps just a clogged copy of windows. Thats hanging around another 2k/PPD.

Next upgrade should be a decent, good sized HDD and possibly SSD, then after a good nVidia GPU, although might wait to see what comes of AMDs 7000 range.

Sounds good iGod! Post the pics for us to have a gander at the new kit m8.