New laptop on the way

Decided to get myself a new laptop… I needed one which I will be able to take to Thailand with me, so it had to be small and light.

So I have ordered a Samsung Q45

Damn!!! After years of being AMD only I am now going to have a Intel!!! :sigh:

Nevermind… it’s got a 1.8Ghz Centrino Core 2 Duo… 2Gig memory… 160GB hard-drive…

And poxy Windoze Vista :frowning:

Will have it doing some crunching they day I get it :slight_smile:

shame about the Vista, otherwise looks like a nice bit of kit for very mobile :slight_smile: I’m intrigued to say the least about the ‘bacteria free’ bit though :confused:

DT.

Yeah…so sorry about Vista :(:(:frowning:

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;397255]shame about the Vista, otherwise looks like a nice bit of kit for very mobile :slight_smile: I’m intrigued to say the least about the ‘bacteria free’ bit though :confused:

DT.[/QUOTE]

Must admit I am intrigued about that bit as well :confused:

Dont really see a problem with Vista… it is memory hungry but once you feed it, it seems much more stable than XP was… and also much better eye candy!

actually, technically speaking it isn’t as memory hungry as you think :slight_smile: What it does do though is make sure that it uses what it has better. For instance, it runs fine without the eye candy on a 256Mb machine, using aroun80% of the physical ram. Put the machine up to 1Gb without changing the eye candy, and surprise - it uses around 80% of the physical ram.

If eye candy is your thing, OSX is much better with the balance of pretty and function. Vista to me is too much pretty, without actually adding anything to the experience of XP. XP is just too good :slight_smile:

DT.

I know what you mean about Mac OSX im trying to get the pennys together to get me a mac mini… just to play around with…

And also can agree that XP really is the dogs danglies… but I wouldnt be upset if Vista came with the laptop… it doesnt add more to the cost…

It has arrived - a day earlier than expected :woot:

Not a bad choice me thinks :slight_smile:

Going to run it for a while with Vista… see how I cope with it :chin:

Already got Boinc running…

They are having a big push at trying to become a ‘Provider of Choice’ for the NHS i would presume, they are always trying to push kit at me to trial with it’s ‘Bacteria Free’ sign.

They are having a big push at trying to become a ‘Provider of Choice’ for the NHS i would presume

hitting visitors with a big stick until they wash their hands with the antibac gel would be more use. and stopping visitors sitting on beds. but dont get me started on MRSA techniques.

@Fiend - looks a tasty piece of kit there.

Bacteria free, isn’t that the whole Silver Nano technology that they’re putting in everything these days?

I’m after a new laptop too! Just had a hernia repair op and i can’t lift anything heavier than 6lb’s for at least 6 weeks, told the boss that and she said to sort myself out with a new laptop that’s lighter than the current Dell D620. Off i go shopping to the dell website! :slight_smile:

After 15 years service my Samsung Q45 is finally being retired!!!

The replacement??? A Lenovo V15 G2 AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

And it’s getting souped up from the start… 16GB RAM + a 1TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD.

Used a 15% off fleabay voucher cose and the savings paid for the SSD!!!

Gonna give the 8 cores/16 threads a test on crunching to see what it’s like!!!

You certainly wrung every penny out of that purchase :rofl:

I thought you had decided on self-harming, no other excuse for a core2-duo and Windows Fister, then I clocked the date of the first post.

The old Sammy did what i needed it to do… 4 years ago I left it over in Thailand where it’s been getting occasional use when we’ve been other there… I’ve just took early retirement and have got a nice big wedge of tax-free cash I decided it was time to treat myself… :banana: :banana: :banana:

The Lenny has now been soup’ed up… The SSD required the purchase of a SATA ribbon cable which I was luckily able to find on Amazon…

Looks like I ordered the Samsung SSD just at the right time as the Argos price nearly doubled 2 days later!!!