non-boinc GPU projects?

I’ve finally really moved into the GPU age now, with a recent purchase of a GTS 450. The old 7600GT wasn’t cutting it even in undemanding games…

Not fanless but at lower loads I can’t hear the fan, only becomes noticeable if I throw furmark at it.

Anyway, with all that compute power sitting idle I wonder what projects out there that can use GPU but without having to go through boinc? Box is on Win7-64 if that makes a difference. No linux.

Main reason is I find boinc scheduling wobbly enough with CPU only, so I’d like to keep anything on the GPU away from boinc.

Folding will run very nicely on a 450 :slight_smile:

DT.

AFAIK folding is the only non BOINC user of GPU crunching apart from commercial stuff. If you are going to fold, you need the GPU3 Beta client (required for all Fermi cards) read the thread on it in the Folding forums as there have been some issues - there always are on very new products.

Folding installed and running now… do I need to manually pause it if I’m gaming? Will find out later… doesn’t seem to be too stressful on the cooling so far.

:cool: welcome back to the fold, are you going to overclock it ?? I would be curious to see the PPD figures it generates, hfm-net gives good accurate readings.

Might be a good idea to halt the GPU client before gaming, if only to ensure the client doesn’t crash and EUE.

Checking the logs it took about 106 minutes for the only unit I have done so far. The card I bought is pre-overclocked to 888/1000/1776 according to GPU-Z.

I’m not sure I’ll hang around much on folding. I mostly hang around primegrid and they’re finalising a client update for fermi cards, and once they do I’ll move over. In a messy appinfo modification I got it working for a quick comparison, and estimate it’s about 3x faster than the entire overclocked x6! So in some subprojects it makes CPUs look pointless. I’ll still need CPU for others.

RC5 has a GPU client.

http://www.distributed.net/Main_Page