Being a rover design I suspect you need to use the special tool to remove them.
Trouble is the special tool wears out and doesnt grip the cover properly as I found out on my rover 420.
The approach became “lets find a socket that fits, undo the nut and B)((*&^s to the cover”. The two components are much easier to separate in a bench vice.
If the cap covers are completely stopping access with a socket I prescribe a small drill bit, a big self tapping screw and a claw hammer to coax the cap cover off for good.
A photo to see what we are up against might give me a bit more inspiration!
hmmm I’ll give the heat thing a try TBH I should of thought of that
but if that dont work I think you may have given me a viable option there
TFWitt got to replace them with new anyway to fit the newwheels
so no issue drilling the ends as an option to remove.
Had an MG Metro Turbo a few yers ago with the same problem (and I suspect the same design). Sort of a pressed stainless steel cap. I got a a true hex socket (ie not the usual muti point star) that fitted over the caps. The nuts can be removed with this and put back this any number of times with minimal scarring of the decour.
Volvo 340 and 360 have a plastic type cap over the nuts and with those you just beat on a larger socket until they crumble, turn once with a long bar until they are destroyed and then put a correct socket on the actual nut. Brutal, but the caps don’t serve a purpose except cosmetic coverage so get rid.
Heat did nowt
drilling and screwing the ends and attempt at forcefull pull failed.
But my dremmel and a screwdriver is getting the job done
using a cutting disc to take a side edge cut then the screwdriver to
break between the cap and the bolt and with and allmight whack of the
hammer snap the whole cap.
I can certainly see why they did not want to come off.