OMG I DID IT!!!!!

I managed to get ubuntu installed on my main machine and it all works. Even all the 3d cube gubbins and dual displays…I feel like I have achieved :):trophy:

congrats :smiley:

nvidia or ati card? :wink:

nvidia…and it took a fair bit of googling and arsing about too :slight_smile:

Congrats and enjoy :smiley:

Woohoo SMP folding is going fine now. Had to make one concession and turn of the ui jazz because it doesn’t quite play well with 2 monitors yet and the windows loose their borders on the 2nd monitor.

aye I had that issue with dual-screens and the fancy beryl cubeness :rolleyes:

now, if I could only get it to play games properly I could ditch windows for good :smiley:

i still dont know what you did to not be able to play games properly spaceboy, i didnt have any real problems running games under ubuntu

I was trying to use the ati drivers to do the beryl goodness AND games at the same time.

turns out 1 version of the driver has all the opengl and 3d support stuff but lacks the “composite” feature for beryl… and vice versa :wink:

while I could set 2 different desktop sessions to use 2 different drivers (I think) I didn’t fancy logging out whenever I wanted to play a game.

I also had issues getting games to run on 1 monitor only rather than stretching across both monitors like my desktop.

sounds like your implying windows is better than *nix

just kiddin

“better” is such a subjective term :smiley:

Well I’m going to be forcing myself to use this ubuntu install for everything i can so I don’t leg it back to windows with out having a proper go. Not gotten to games yet but thats not a major problem since my Xbox handles most of my gaming recently.

I no doubt have a lot of fiddling to still do though :smiley: With the weather this weekend being poor I should get some special geek time in. :coffee: :smiley: :wink:

P.s. This is probably the most life this forums has had in it in a long time. :eek:

:chuckle:

Ubuntu is a nice distro. I did see a post on the Ubuntu forums earlier about warnings to linux newbies about people telling you to type in code…

Like using the remove command and the format disk.

Well I can strike Skype off my list of things to install now :slight_smile: This is getting better. Takes a little more work and a bit of :google: bashing but it’s east enough to get there with some persaverance but I enjoy making things work :bsod:

we’ll make a Gentoo user of you yet :wink:

DT.

one step at a time eh :wink: