Open Office Lookup (like Access one!)

Anyone know how I can do a lookup like I can in MS Access?

I have a table of bows, arrows, and rounds and I want to create a table for records using only what’s in the other tables.

Now in Access it’s easy, in Table design you click Lookup wizard in the cell selection menu. I cant find out how to do this OOo. Do I have to use a SQL command?

Table A = Bows, Arrows, and Rounds

What would you like to have for output from this table (Spreadsheet)?

I think you’re looking for CASE/IF SQL Statement which would build the final output correct?

I guess what I would need is a little more detail…

From when I was taught Access (a good while ago!), I was told to minimise the data in each table and it was best to spread data over a few tables and have relationships between them.

In this case I want record table to be my main table. In this I will record my archery scores I acquire.

Into this I want to use data from an arrows table (using a small range of arrows), bow type table (selecting out of 3 disciplines), round table (the different round I shot).

I’ve found a commercial app (My Archer) that seems to be fairly decent and meets my needs for the time being. I’d still like to do my own database at some point though so any help you can offer is most appreciated.

Got ya… So you would like to use the DB to handle what you used to get that score.
Bow Type, Arrow Selection, and in which Round a Score was given…

Then you would like to report that selection out into a report where Hi to low, and provide a weighted avg against it…works for me… Thats easy in ACCESS and with reporting well all in one. The BASE application should work fine for what your looking at in Open Office.

Have you played any with that part, or just doing it in spreadsheets? The BASE DB works great similar to ACCESS.

Yep you got it :slight_smile:

I started it in Base. I then came upon the difficulty in selecting values in the main table from the other tables.
Changed to access and found I could quite happily select the values from other tables. In Access it was easy enough to select the coloumn as a lookup and use the lookup wizard to find the values I wanted.

In Base, I didn’t see this so I got stuck. I can do it in Access but I want to do it in Base as then I can access it in both Linux and Windows.

Hats off to MS for making it easy… I assume you’re using a combo box in Access to allow you to look at the values? While I’m not a BASE guru, Access/SQL/VB are my tools of choice I have played with BASE. I’m certain you’ll be able to craft a BASE version of what you have done in ACCESS. I played about 2 hours the other day, and ported down a very nice application once I got the hang of BASE. If you get stuck, zip up your ACCESS toy, and I’ll give it a whirl. It’s not a bad little program, more of XML, web related then anything.

Well kick the tires first, and if you get hung up zip the ACCESS up and send it over (Access 2X thru 2003)

Right I’ll have a go somepoint this week and see what I come up with.

I have worked with Access before and know that I have used a “lookup” option in one table to look up information in another table. I believe they call this normalization and allows you to enter the information once in one table and then choose it from a drop down list in another table. I read that Open Office requires you to use a Form to do this, but I have not been able to do this at all in Open Office. I found a web site that went through a bunch of steps using “copy and paste” but I was not smart enough to follow what he was doing. I am hoping Open Office will add this feature soon.

Hi BenSr,

It is a major let down of Open Office I feel but then on the other side, OOo seems to be a much better database app as it appears to be based about SQL and tables, something I don’t understand much but appears to be easier to work with than Access as long as you know what your doing!