Passing data to a batch file

Currently eluding me at the minute.

I want to have a batch script that will run a backup command based on what I tell the script to.

SO in other words, I want to run the script and have the CMD window pop up and ask if I want a full or incremental backup and by typing in either F or I to get the right command to run.

Getting the command to run I imagine is a IF statement but how do I get the command window to ask the user what they want?

It might just be simpler to create 2 backup scripts I must admit:ghey:

To be interactive I think you will need to run something to grab the response. How about running it in the style
c:\backup -f
You can then check the presence and content in batch file easily. e.g. do nothing if none, maybe put up a help message saying you need to specify what mode you want.

Drez, Zip file attached.

This is something I did for work a while back for someone else, just added some choice parameters into it.

Unzip it using the folder structure, (should be c:\backup1).

In that you will have a 1 folder and 3 files
Folder: Original
Files: Runme.bat, Incremental.bat and Full.bat

Run the runme.bat

The files were originally created to retain certain files for 72 hours, and like I said I just added some parameters.

Hope it’s useful…

Backup1.zip (19.7 KB)

Cheers for that. It appears to be what I’m after.
Given me the data I need to use to create my own that will run when I need it.

Batch file scripts is your method needed which I assume is what’s supplied in the file above

Plenty of sites out there for learning that.

just one for info, its still handy to know.

http://www.allenware.com/icsw/icswref.htm

Thanks for the link. Looks pretty comprehensive. Will have a better look on a bigger screen.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk