PC Power & Cooling Bay-Cool 3 review

I just received a PC Power & Cooling Bay-Cool 3 (thanks to my wife).

Bay-Cool III Technical Specifications
THERMAL CHARACTERISTICS
Drive Temp Reduction: 20°F - 40° F (11°C - 22°C)
INTEGRATED FAN
Type: 80 mm ball-bearing
Air Flow: 30 CFM
Noise: 30dB(A)
Input Requirement: 12VDC @ 130mA

Connector: drive connector

MTBF: 50,000 hrs.

MISCELLANEOUS
Bay Requirement: (2) 5 1/4" drive bays
Drive Capacity: (3) 3.5" hard drives
Drive Mounting: (4) 6-32 screws per drive
Filtered Inlet: removable foam
Dimensions: 5.8"W x 6.9"D x 3.4"H

Weight: 615 grams
Warranty: 5 Years

I wanted this not so much for the cooling aspect of it, though it is a plus, but for the additional 3.5" bays it would provide. I have a total of 4 HDDs in my rig, including two Raptors, and wanted them spaced out to provide adequate cooling from my 120mm intake (primarily for the Raptors).

My first impression of the Bay Cool 3 was rather neutral. It comes in Beige (no color options available) and the removable grill is rather bendable. However, installing the HDDs went easily with the included screws, just remember to mount the HDDs BEFORE you mount any drive rails you may use.

Once I had everything installed and my rig running again, I noticed the included fan, which is NOT one of PCP&C’s Silencer range of fans, emits a rather high pitched whine. When I looked at the specs, I did not think I would hear the fan over my Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe. If you own one, you know that the included fan is fairly loud. It is rated at 34-44 dB. However, the Bay Cool 3 fan is much higher pitched and rather distracting.

I have yet to confirm the temperature reduction that PCP&C claims, but I will very shortly and amend this review to include my readings. For the readings, I will use the integral temperature sensors built into the Antec P-160 mid-tower case I have, which includeds a temp readout.

Also, I plan on replacing the stock fan with a Vantec Stealth 80mm fan I have spare and record the temps to see how replacing the stock fan affects cooling performance.

SPACE SAVED FOR TEMP READINGS

All in all, I am pleased with the unit. It fulfills its main goal of adding additional 3.5" bays while cooling any installed hard drives. I would prefer color options, but that is easy enough to fix with a can of spray paint. The removable grill is rather flimsy, but it is understandable, since you must bend it to remove it to access the washable foam filter. It would have been better to include one of their own 80mm Silencer fan than the unit that comes with it. The 5 year warranty is a big plus and my past experience with their support and RMA department have been flawless.

Score: 3 out of 5 :vader: :vader: :vader: