PCI graphics card to replace GeForce 6200

For reasons I can’t explain since upgrading some of the other hardware in my PC and installing Win7 the old PCI GF 6200 seems to be causing massive performance problems with just about every aspect of using the computer. Set it to disabled in device manager and instantly the PC feels better.

It’s only used for driving the 3rd monitor and has been fine for ~2 years. What’s reasonable to replace it with? must be PCI but only needs to drive a 19" panel with typical web/desktop apps etc. Could do with it being a cheap eBay type purchase as well. Oh and nVidia.

Very hard to find a PCI only card nowadays. Found this one on Ebuyer. Matrox were a good make in my past experience, although I’ve tended towards Sparkle and Inno3D for my more recent PCI-E cards. There are more on the Dabs website, but they are asking silly money for them. Ebay might be your best choice.

If the card is short I could go with a PCIe X1. The memory is quite close behind the only slots that I can free and but my board only has one PCIe x16 slot.

Just an idea, but is possible to get a PCI-Express x1 to Low Profile x16 Slot Extension Adapter card, so you could then possibly use a low profile x16 card such as a GeForce 210 or similar.

I’ve got such an adapter I had in a Poweredge server so it could GPU fold, it’ll turn up in the next few weeks as well as moving offices again. I coupled mine with a 9600 I think, 9x series something.

DT.

so the motherboard is this one:

I couldn’t get my soundcard (Asus Xonar Xense) in either of the PCIe x1 slots to the right of the x16 slot as it’s too big and would hit the memory. Are there any cards for reasonable money that you think would fit?

this looks ok but is probably the same size as the soundcard so probably not fit.

I really don’t like ATI stuff but maybe this?

Some of the GT 430 cards are short but looking at the image you wont have any problems - the components / cooler are on the opposite side of the card to the memory slots.

See here

[QUOTE=Mortlake;462695]Some of the GT 430 cards are short but looking at the image you wont have any problems - the components / cooler are on the opposite side of the card to the memory slots.

See here[/QUOTE]

cheers but not planning to replace the GT560ti in the PCIe X16 slot matey. That’s driving the 30" panel and one of the 19s. It’s just the current PCI GeForce 6200 that seems to be causing problems so either needs to be a another PCI or a PCIe x1 card in it’s place. The 2 PCIe x1 slots to the right of the x16 slot will only allow a short card before the foul the RAM. As I say, the sound card is too long for there and had to go to the left of the x16 slot.

At the minute I can’t use the 19" screen on the right. It all feels a little lopp sided!

there’s me digging about on ebay when good old amazon seems to have some options:

[QUOTE=Spacey;462696]cheers but not planning to replace the GT560ti in the PCIe X16 slot matey. That’s driving the 30" panel and one of the 19s. It’s just the current PCI GeForce 6200 that seems to be causing problems so either needs to be a another PCI or a PCIe x1 card in it’s place. The 2 PCIe x1 slots to the right of the x16 slot will only allow a short card before the foul the RAM. As I say, the sound card is too long for there and had to go to the left of the x16 slot.

At the minute I can’t use the 19" screen on the right. It all feels a little lop sided![/QUOTE]

Whoops Sorry about that post - I have a touch of man flu and posted after a dose of max strength cold remedy and a very large JD hot toddy - the combination hit me like a train - I was going to offer my old Matrox PCI cards but couldn’t decide whether they could adequately support your display or not, so I read the thread again and got confused - there was a moment of ‘clarity’ where I thought I saw the remedy and posted that drivel before staggering off to bed - my apologies again.

The Matrox cards are either the Millenium or Millenium2 series, one base card and one with added memory - I cannot test them as my rig has no free PCI slots, yours for postage. - http://www.512bit.net/matrox.html

this looks like it could be mighty close …

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/84809-EVGA-8400GS-Graphics-Card-just-£17.99!

That is similiar in construction to what I had, I removed the back plate, from the card and placed it into the slot in the case next door, that housed the VGA output nicely and then I could easily use a riser card to stop me having to hack away at the end of the PCIe x1 slot. I tracked down where the 9500GT I used to do it is now housed, machine can’t be without it now unfortunately, but I have got the riser card.

DT.