popcorn anyone?

for those wanting a small media box?

Popcorn Hour A-100 allows you to pull in digital video, audio and photos from various sources for your enjoyment on your HDTV or Home Theater setup.

You can stream or playback your digital media content from a variety of sources, such as your PC, NAS, digital camera, USB mass storage devices (Flash drive, HDD, DVD drive) , internal HDD* and even directly from the Internet via the Media Service Portal.

It also serves as a NAS and a BitTorrent peer-to-peer downloader** to eliminate the need to switch on a PC or other device for this purpose.

The Popcorn Hour A-100 supports the latest high bitrate video formats (MPEG2 MP@HL, H.264 HP@L4.1, VC-1 AP@L3 in TS of at least 40Mbps) to give you up to 1080p high-definition videos.

In recognition of advances in Internet TV, the A-100 supports peer-to-peer Internet TV streaming technology from SayaTV, as well as popular unicast internet TV such as YouTube, Google Video and Metacafe via the Media Service Portal.

The A-100 firmware is upgradeable to support future media containers, codecs and features.

That looks like an Icy Box HD enclosure and if it’s the same build quality as my Icy Box, I’ll pass!

Sold in extremely small quantities and very hard to get hold of, from looking on AVF it seems somewhat unstable too. Nice feature list if they make it reliable in future though :).

I think i’m going to declare my Popcorn A110 favourite gadget of the last year. Running Transmission (torrent client) for ages now with remote management was good but now with NZBGet and feedtime working properly its even better.

Oh, and it plays every film I through at it too :chuckle: Best advice I can give is don’t just upgrade the firmware, look at the forums first. I think i’m two behind now, they have a habit of breaking more than they fix each time they update…

wowsers, nice thread revival :smiley:

DT.

:lol: well I knew it had been on here before, i’m trying to do my bit for the planet and not create unnecessary new threads :tiphat:

does it do a good job with iPlayer, 4oD, Five.tv and ITV as well ?

I use a lappy into the vga on the telly for most of them, you do notice the difference with HD, although it’s not a true HD telly (720p I think). The wii iPlayer does reasonably well, the sound/picture sync falls over every so often though :frowning:

tbh, the iPlayer client when you download the program rocks, nothing is close to it :smiley:

DT.

Doesn’t do any of those things well, its really just a network media player, will play nearly every type of video file across a network or on its local HD with the added bonus of a linux backend that the community fill with useful apps.
With wired network you can stream 1080p content.

Some days the PS3 pips it steaming from my pc, having playTV and the Iplayer but the popcorn is silent and does a whole lot more while i’m not there.

PS3 meets most of my needs in this regard :slight_smile: still keeping an eye on the freesat digi box market though.

PS3 is good now, with the addition of a logitec universal remote and bluetooth adapter a while back I really do use it more for TV nights.

Is the slim version much quieter than the fat ? My fat fella does make enough noise to detract from some scenes in a film…

my fatty barely makes any noise at all :confused:

Hmm, she doesn’t really spin up till i’m using playTV but i’m sure its going pretty well on streamed stuff too. Did bring it into work a while back and blow and cloud of dust out of it like you wouldn’t believe but still no better.

might need a good hoovering to keep it quiet, mine seems to get the hump from cat fur and diy debris.

Balrog should be okay unless he has cats

[QUOTE=Peige;453227]PS3 is good now, with the addition of a logitec universal remote and bluetooth adapter a while back I really do use it more for TV nights.

Is the slim version much quieter than the fat ? My fat fella does make enough noise to detract from some scenes in a film…[/QUOTE]Not much if any noise from mine, why the Bluetooth adaptor when the PS3 has Bluetooth built in, I have the official remote, I always fancied getting PlayTV but don’t know if it’s worth it for me the only upgrade on mine is the HD, I went from 40gb to 320gb

I have the bluetooth remote too, but the logitech controls everything, one button press of the activity button and you have everything switched to what you need and the buttons remapped to operate whatever is needed for that activity.

Took a while to program it (its all done via usb) but its very rewarding when you have got it right, its the first time I have had a universal remote that ment I really did put all the other remotes away :slight_smile:

BUMP! How about some popcorn to go with your new TV Spacey?

or a new smiley ?