PPD - Windows vs Linux

What’s the score now?

I’ve a i5 760, dedicated crunching machine as I’m not overly impressed with it tbh. No GPU to crunch on.

My 30days Win7 trial is about to run out, so it’s going to get a reinstall. Which would give me the best numbers in Folding? Fedora or Windows7?

4Gb ram, i5-760 under a Coolermaster212.

DT.

Hope you’ve overclocked that puppy :wink:

Had mine up to 4GHz, same cpu, same cooler :thumbsup:

No idea about linux/windows though sorry :frowning:

hmm some people have said there is no difference in PPD between windows and linux, but the deference between responsiveness between windows and ubuntu, even on this SB is noticeable. I would say you would be able to scrape some more points from using fedora, but i guess its what you feel comfortable with using.

The GPU drivers is the number one factor if GPU. The group of Windows coders on GPU is greater hands down. Now for CPU the thread is #1 and since .NET is all over & I would think C would have a shorter path to the CPU if coded properly (LINUX), but all F&H is C based so I think it is a matter of cost (license). Now I know you can handle either so LINUX away will be interested in seeing results.

well, I don’t think that a day or two of Fedora would hurt :slight_smile: Can’t see me putting in a GPU to this particular system, it has another job to do, sit in the corner and be stacked with HD’s :smiley:

It’s on a poor board really Spaceboy, but was the 1000+ deal so was cheap, and that ruled the roost at the time :slight_smile:

DT.

Straight Linux v Windows in regards to SMP clients - Linux used to have the edge - but now there is very little difference - however if you start throwing GPUs into the frame then things get biased strongly towards Windows - GPU client has to run under WINE (real fun getting it to work) and takes the resources of a whole core for each GPU, Windows only uses about 14-20%

Fedora14 is on the way down now, under windows at stock the CPU managed 5K ppd approx. Any Linux versions of stuff like HFM, FAHmon etc ?

DT.

I think FAHmon can run under Linux and it is possible to run HFM with a little work - I only run one instance of HFM on my main (windows) box which monitors all my boxes .

You could always install an FTP server on the fedora, then access the F@H files through the ftp from your main computer, or do the same with apache over the internal network, if i remember correctly HFM supports the use of both FTP and a webserver.

I used to do it using diskless nodes, was very easy to monitor then just put the files in a samba share :slight_smile: There’s only the one folder in the office, all machines are Docking in there, this rig will make the second dedicated folder (amongst the other things it will be doing) :wink:

Something on the desktop would be nice - I’ll see when I go into the office later on.

Cheers :cheers:

DT.

HFM runs using mono (fairly simple from memory - install mono and then run program from command as “mono /path/to/program” (same as running wine programs AFAIK)

FahMon compiles on Ubuntu fine so I imagine it’ll be fine on a Fedora box as well.

fedora14 is installing now, gone for the graphical desktop option for a change, normally don’t bother with X, but want to actually have a bit of a play :smiley:

4mins51 per frame on project 7131 at stock CPU clocks

what does that translate to in PPD ??

I’ll find out when I put the logs through a monitor app of somesort when in the office tomorrow :slight_smile:

7950 according to FAHmon running locally on the machine, under windows it was a lot less than that, but not sure if I had the bonuses in teh fahmon I was using. Wehn you compare to a q6600 doing less than 800ppd on a windows server2008 box, this cpu seems nicer :lol:

Only overclock I could do was up the multi by one to 22x133, it’s a cheap board :frowning:

four hours of running, and FAHmon is giving me a new figure …

10k, fluctuating ±200 as I’m compiling stuff on it :slight_smile: