Project Reccomendation needed.

This rig is great, yet even with five fans it just overheats easy. Tried everything to keep it cool; even changed the thermal grease.
Need a low CPU usage project.
Oh running Win 10 Tech also.

Do have four more rigs boxed up; though our internet on the hills has very low data allowance; so they will stay packed at this time.

Your set up seems OK to me. Fiend pointed me in the direction of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 and I installed it in my AMD 8-core rig after the stock cooler supplied with the CPU turned out too noisy and not as effective. I’m currently running the following:

AMD FX8320 AM3+ 8-core 3.5ghz 16mb cache
Gigabyte 970 A-DS3P AM3+ full ATX mobo
2x4gb HyperX DDR3 1833mhz RAM
Gigabyte GEForce GTX650 GPU with 4gb GDDR5 memory and a 100mm silent fan to cool it down
Coolermaster G550M semi-modular PSU 550W

Temps never get above 50C and it is whisper quiet too. Bit fiddly to fit, but works excellently. Might be worth trying that as a first option Heidi

Since Docking finished could I suggest Poem@home, it’s a medical project and you could run it on both CPU and GPU, give a fairly decent RAC.

After Docking I switched to SIMAP, but that also ended so now I’m running a mixture but GPUGRID is my main one, accompanied by POEM@Home with a mix of Rosetta, WCG, FightNeglectedDiseases@Home, Einstein and Milkyway.

what ambient temps you got where you’re running the rig ?

about 23C

Rig stays about 40C during normal usage, at 100% it wants to push 125C +

[QUOTE=TheFiend;466883]Since Docking finished could I suggest Poem@home, it’s a medical project and you could run it on both CPU and GPU, give a fairly decent RAC.

After Docking I switched to SIMAP, but that also ended so now I’m running a mixture but GPUGRID is my main one, accompanied by POEM@Home with a mix of Rosetta, WCG, FightNeglectedDiseases@Home, Einstein and Milkyway.[/QUOTE]

I’ll look at Poem

[QUOTE=Vortex;466984]I’ll look at Poem[/QUOTE] :smiley:

Ok have POEM running for the team at 60% till I see what the temps are going to be; or find the cooling issue.

I do have one question though. How do you tell which tasks are running CPU or GPU?

Update: Running all eight cores I can keep temp down to 70C-; yet wondering if I limit the cores to eg. 4 at 100% would be better. Any thoughts on this or should I just play and see for myself. (laziness makes me ask instead of just trying.)

At the moment you are probably running just CPU units.

What GPU have you got? AMD or Nvidia?

You might need to go into POEM preferences to enable the GPU app… there is an app for both makes of GPU so you would need to enable the relevant one, and once enabled it will download the necessary app and off it will go.

In BOINC preferences you can set BOINC to only use 50% of the CPU cores and you should see a drop in temps with only running 50% load.

I wonder if you’ve simply got a faulty temp sensor program, satisfy us geeks with a full system spec!

I chased a problem like this a while ago, it turned out to be poorly applied thermal paste, it had got a bit dry and hard so didn’t spread thinly when the heatsink was screwed down, freshly applied new good quality hi performance thermal paste solved the performance issues.

Yep that was one of my first thought and had redone. . . It did help a lot, just not when running at 100%.

and for my dart throwing geek:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2mZcz3PNIRMNayBPO7fcH7m

This is with Boinc running at 60%

aha - well there it is, the FX-8320 has a known issues with odd temperature reporting off the chip and board, you can see it on your results with board saying one thing, cpu sensor another.

To be safe, I’d invest in a fan controller that comes with a thermal probe and situate it on the copper centre of your heatsink. There are a number of reasons why this family of chips are bad with temps, it’s an AMD scale for thermal throttling that appears odd in the majority of sensor programs.

Google the 8320 temperature sensor issues, it’s probably not the rig or setup at all - just crappy sensor readings that AMD gave that are in a rating scale of how close to thermal throttling, and not in a known scale.

Thanks DT, I’ll shake the penny jar and see if we can come up with enough for a fan controller; any recommendation on one.

Meantime I seem to be making a decent progress in poem@home. May have to pull another rig out of the storage. . . hmm just need to hide it from Mandy. LOL (penny pincher)