PSU or Mobo

PC has developed a seriously annoying prob while away in India last week.

Power on PC, LEDs come on, fans start but no POST or video output. It sits like that as long as I let it. Sometimes it then powers off then back on again.

Leaving it off for a few hours seems to sort it for a while.

I’m assuming something on the motherboard has buldged/leaked but before I go shopping what are the chances it’s the PSU?

The board is a fairly elderly, by today’s standards, Asus P5Q Pro so I’m expecting to have to find something similar…sigh

sounds veru much like a PSU failure, do you have a spare to lob in?

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;453299]sounds veru much like a PSU failure, do you have a spare to lob in?

DT.[/QUOTE]

No but PC World is open tomorrow :frowning: It’s a decent PSU as well - Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi.

I would go with a PSU as well.

Even after leaving it there’s no life beyond power LED and case fans now. Really it working today so I finish editing some video. Going to have to go with whatever those friendly knowledge ppl at PC World have. I feel dirty.

new psu tried but still no life :frowning:

PC World had no suitable motherboards otherwise I’d have got both. I’ll be shopping for a new system board in a sec and now have a spare £70 PSU to flog. I guess life would be boring if my gear just worked :wink:

just to check my thinking, there’s nothing else that could cause this now beyond the mobo?

could it be the CMOS battery ?

been a long time since we’ve had that one, can’t remember if the fans/leds would still work if the battery was dead :confused:

[QUOTE=wolram;453317]could it be the CMOS battery ?

been a long time since we’ve had that one, can’t remember if the fans/leds would still work if the battery was dead :confused:[/QUOTE]

Surely if it was the system would at least still POST even if the BIOS config was reset each time?

carefully box the PSU back up and most times PC-world will give you either a credit or a refund.

:xfinger:

DT.

Check MOBO capacitors to see if one is bloated or pop’d. If so well new MOBO is in order. I had one like this and I was able to repair but it takes time, and a new MOBO is cheap.

I am with Step2000, probably a bad cap gradually dieing.

was indeed the mobo. System is back up and running.

Oddly, it’s now a lot noisier than previously. All the fan controls are still set the same so no idea how!

P5Q Pro should’ve still been under the brilliant 3 year Asus warranty no?