Raspberry Pi

I have been looking into the raspberry Pi computer for a little while now, this little bit of technology interest me greatly and I’ll probably be ordering one shortly.

In the meantime I am trying to find a working link to a VM version, I’ll add a link to anything of interest that actually works.
Anything high ranked on search results appears to be snowed under with interest.

This amused me though

Anyone who can put down the internet and go to the pub has their priorities sorted.

Links:
russeldavis.org

Been following this gadget, might get one later on after the early adopters help polish the software around it a bit.

As for pub vs. internet, why not both? :smiley:

THIS just makes so much sense that it has to be done

http://thestoragearchitect.com/2012/02/29/raspberry-pi-launch-aims-to-herald-new-era-of-education-in-computing/

I can probably string together enough solar powered garden lights from the pound shop to power a Raspberry Pi and the thought of a running DC processor using 3.5 watts is interesting in a geeky way.

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;463503]http://thestoragearchitect.com/2012/02/29/raspberry-pi-launch-aims-to-herald-new-era-of-education-in-computing/

I can probably string together enough solar powered garden lights from the pound shop to power a Raspberry Pi and the thought of a running DC processor using 3.5 watts is interesting in a geeky way.[/QUOTE]

That does have an appeal, definately.

So has anybody managed to get their mits on one yet? I’m thinking one would make an excellent media center box.

Any thoughts on how good they would be for a cruncher farm? ARM chips should be pretty easy on the leccy bill? Let’s just hope the pirate bay don’t buy them all

BS

More delays :furious:

[QUOTE=BigSix;463551]So has anybody managed to get their mits on one yet? I’m thinking one would make an excellent media center box.

Any thoughts on how good they would be for a cruncher farm? ARM chips should be pretty easy on the leccy bill? Let’s just hope the pirate bay don’t buy them all

BS[/QUOTE]

got one on order due in June, will look for clustering SW to run on it

Email from RS components to me today…

There’s been plenty of positive developments in shipping and testing over the last week.
2,000 boards have now been shipped to the Raspberry Pi Foundation in Cambridge, UK (here’s some pictures)
RS and Farnell are working together with the Foundation to accelerate testing, making sure that all Raspberry Pi’s meet the required safe-for-use standards, as many people will be using their Pi’s as a finished product.
As soon as certification has been achieved, we will receive our allocation of the first batch of boards. We’re hopeful that this will be very soon.
Our dedicated Raspberry Pi store is getting ready to open to the first group of people in our queue. Once they have placed their orders, we’ll then start inviting the next-in-line into the store.
More deliveries are expected shortly, so we can start fulfilling the extraordinary demand for Raspberry Pi. We’ll keep you up-to-date via our weekly email and online FAQs.

Did any of you end up buying one ?

After the hype and pointless email lotteries with both approved suppliers, I sort of lost interest.

I got one, didn’t take long from Farnell. Got it running and… put it back in its box where it’s been since. Might have helped if I had any plans for it…

I have been very tempted to pick one of these up… Someone had a great deal on AVforums the other day but it just fell on the wrong side of payday for me :frowning:

Would you suggest getting one? worth a crack?

I had one. I managed to get the Rev 02 board, before they were even released (CPC said they were due on the Monday, I ordered the Thursday before and it arrived the day after, a weekend before the Monday release!)

I played about with it and then sold it on to a friend that had been waiting ages for one. Basically I wanted to run a server on it but then realised my VPS is in a bit place to do so. It did make quite a good media centre through but I’ve got an Apple TV to handle that.

Now the hype has died down and common sense has returned I dont think I would be doing anything with a Pi that I couldnt achieve with a 50 quid ebay laptop and a lightweight Linux install.

Its been sidelined by finding some things in the CPC catalogue that arrived today and the item that appeals to me most is THIS

I’m not sure just how it works but the basic overview is a device with an ethernet connection that can control outputs and monitor inputs like a bare bones home automation controller.
I like the idea of having a few dotted round the house/garden linked to PIR sensors that could turn on a light in the house if there is enough activity outside.

I’ve ordered two Raspberrys last year and after four months they were delivered, and now after my move from one town to an other and the job-switch I’ll hopefully find time to build up a media center and use the secound one as a test machine.