Scratched the itch that Mackerel started

On the way, a machine that has plans to be a GPU cruncher, for now it’s CPU only since buying a new TV at the weekend.

ASRock 880G Extreme3

4Gb Mushkin Ram

Hyper212 Cooler

X4 955

The CPU was a special deal for high post counts on the Aria forums and they’ve done me a nice deal with the other bits as well. I chose the Mushkin ram kit simply as they’ve only just started stocking it and therefore I could tempt them with prices in return for me spending a few moments doing a little review and build-log.

The Palit 768Mb 460 is the Folding @ Home card of choice, and that will come with time, just not this month or next :lol: The PSU I have will cope with one, but it’ll need replacing to cope with the intended 3, but I will be adding one at a time due to cash and also to see how noisy this thing is likely to get.

There’s a chance with this being a newer/better board that my home rig that this combo may end up in my home games rig and the Quad Intel goes to the office as my work desktop. My laptop is starting to struggle with what I’m now throwing at it.

Kit should arrive at the location I’m working at tomorrow, it might not get built until the weekend, but one itch duly scratched :smiley:

DT.

Sounds good even if you make me sound infectious… :slight_smile: Still folding then? I only wish Primegrid LLR projects I do can make effective use of GPUs, but not yet. So if I didn’t blow the best part of a grand on non-computer kit yesterday I’d be tempted at more crunchers…

http://www.johnlewis.com/230950649/Product.aspx

brought one of those on Sunday, hence the all of a sudden can’t afford the GPUs :smiley:

Plan was to GPU crunch Folding, and 2core crunch Docking@Home or something on Boinc … not sure what it’ll get when it arrives now if I’m completely honest, it’s half the cruncher I wanted, but the new telly is very nice :smiley:

DT.

That’s a different kind of itch I have too! Mine seems to have a weird dark patch growing on one side of the screen but not quite bad enough to make me get a replacement… yet…

mine failed last week, went back to the 21" crt for a few days. JohnLewis changed the price match policy, froogle that particular model and you’ll see what I mean :smiley:

DT.

Hmm nice itch. Your making me itchy!!!

That Asrok mobo looks fantastic!!

Butuz

Mackarels got a lot to answer for… everybody is starting to itch!!!

well the kit has all arrived safe and sound from the looks of it :slight_smile: Playtime tonight :smiley:

DT.

I had a big pile of parcels delivered yesterday - no Christmas presents for me this year - have been very busy reconfiguring my farm - so far two 8800GT, two motherboards, one Q6600 have been retired , reconfiguring one Ubuntu cruncher , one new Ubuntu 10.04 install on newish motherboard , and new i7 970 rig complete with Win 7 64 bit install :D, all basically crunching , some adjustments need to be made with GPU population locations and lots of overclocking - i7 doing 4Ghz but need to see to the memory - large gains to be made on tightening up timings as I am running on very loose defaults.

Yep, put me in the “itch I can’t scratch” category. I just bought a new GTX460 to replace my 8800GT and no SETI work to test it out with. sigh

SETI seems to have gone to the dogs!!!

How about folding? You need to break that card in after all! :wink:

Butuz

[QUOTE=Butuz;456219]SETI seems to have gone to the dogs!!!

Butuz[/QUOTE]

Yep - a GTX460 with a decent overclock will produce circa 10k ppd

motherboard is installed, power up running fine. Now to find the rest of the parts required to make the box complete. I have take a number of pictures and I have to say the board appears awesome, to the point of considering placing it into the Stacker case instead and using as my home machine. The 6 sata ports, USB3, Sata3 etc etc means my “beast” may get some new teeth. I think the decision will come in approx 30days, once the trial install of windows7 that’s going on this rig ends and I can see how reliable it is :slight_smile:

DT.

Be interesting to hear if your mobo can let you unlock another 2 cores to make an X6!!! Let us know!!!

Butuz

[QUOTE=Butuz;456219]SETI seems to have gone to the dogs!!!

Butuz[/QUOTE]

Actually it’s crunching Milkyway and Docking (my SETI substitute). I had to turn off GPU crunching on Milkyway though. Their software isn’t Fermi compatable yet and returns nothing but errors. I’ll give FaH some thought.

[QUOTE=Butuz;456226]Be interesting to hear if your mobo can let you unlock another 2 cores to make an X6!!! Let us know!!!

Butuz[/QUOTE]

no such luck I’m afraid, just a simple multiplier increase to get 3.6Ghz with no voltage alterations at all. CPU has been going at this for six hours on a unit, estimated 1200ppd from the CPU.

DT.