Security researchers discover 'indestructible' botnet

More than four million PCs have been enrolled in a botnet security experts say is almost “indestructible”.

More on this story courtesy of the BBC

Scary stuff, but the attitude some people take to their PC’s security is no surprise to me. :realmad:

the press on this really got on my nerves tbh, using phrases like indestructible is just as bad as the many scareware apps :rant:

Difficult to kill, yes I’ll give you that based on the botnet comms method, indestructable it most certainly isn’t. This isn’t a new radical method of botnet control, security researches know what’s coming next. Each time a botnet is taken down there’s a choice of different ways to control the next botnet. It’s an arms war, on infected machines. This one combines two new weapons, the inter-botnet comms and where the actual “software” resides. Although unexpected that a leap was made, skipping out what was thought to be the next-gen and going to next-next-gen. The key, as always is detection on systems and cleaning.

Hackers and crackers will always appear to be one step ahead, but really they are picking from a menu of proof code that researchers have worked on for years to stay one step ahead. The single most important thing in my opinion though, user education. Only 2% of UK computers are thought to be be infected by this botnet compared to 18% in the US. I suppose that’s the one thing press like this does acheive, more sales of useless Norton from PC-World.

DT.

May be true but I’m sure the faster computers and networks get, the scarier place the internet is.