Server move

ok, a few little issues have arisen during the move - the main one being that tonights party starts half an hour before I thought it did. That is, it’s a surprise party and we are all to get there half an hour before he gets home to setup!!!

Please feel free to post issues if you see them - I’ll then assess the state of play over the weekend.

DT.

right, double post :spam: :smiley:

There will be some more downs over the weekend as I’ve got to update the forum software, I wanted to do it tonight, but I’m now being pulled out the front door …

DT.

Enjoy your party :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your efforts DT, I think I speak for all of us when I say it is greatly appreciated.

attachments are back on, email tests all completed :thumbsup:

Latest registrants re-sent validation codes as the email settings needed changing.

Some other stuff done. I’ve taken us down a few notches in terms of the resources we have, and I’m finding that the database size is keeping us hovering at 85%+ for memory usage within the VPS. I’ll prune some forums later on and see how that affects the database. We’ve also come close to the limit on open file nodes as well, particularly when being trawled last night by our regular robots. I may have to notch the VPS level up one to get more resources - that will require the begging hat to come out as the affiliates monies are now rather dry. Hence why I’ll try pruning the database first :slight_smile:

One final thing I’m noticing, the previous server experienced this one as well, many many attempts to use the server as a mail relay. I’ve configured this one slightly different for mail, and it’s logging all these attempts at the moment, I think that is possibly what’s hitting our open file node count so much. With the other domains I moved off our old dedicated server I found these dropped to a much lower rate after a few days as this server responds point blank with a fail, the old one seemed to like to say it had sent mail, but really it hadn’t. I think the way forward is to run for a week or two and then review. If we hit the resource levels too much I’m pretty sure the VPS provider will let me know :smiley:

DT.

Are things still moving about ?

Only ask because it was unreachable for a while earlier on…

was the same for me, also not getting any email through via the ip address I was sent.

Curly

nope, things are not coping on the new server. I was hoping the ‘value’ server could cope with running TPR, but it appears not.

Our old server we shared costs with a few business sites, so we were treated and I didn’t prune old posts. These business have now all purchased servers for themselves that I don’t want to put TPR onto, so I brought a VPS value server for £230 a year. This isn’t coping, server is reaching maximum burst of memory and then dropping resources, mainly apache which was resolved for the weekend with the script I posted in coding and design.

I’ve called the hosts this morning, and they’ve given me a few options, all of them require moving the server, they can’t simply increase the VPS settings to give us more memory :frowning:

This will mean a larger outlay, and the cap will have to come out as we don’t have the funds to cover it at the moment. The gigabit switch that is in my loft may find it’s way onto ebay soon though and that should cover us for a few more years.

At the moment, I’m busy at work but have this running in my head as a what to do. The main reason for killing the old dedicated server was cost and that the openbsd custom installation was an absolute nightmare.

I’ve a few meetings in an hour or so that will be quite stressful, but will resolve a couple of issues.

DT.

update

I’ve brought a new dedicated server and I’ll work on the funding stuff over the next few days.

I shan’t bother to restore all the posts I pruned trying to cut the database size, I pruned 50,000 posts and it may very little difference to the mem-size. It’s very odd that we are using so many resources for a 1Gb a day site.

New server should be running tonight, so I’ll do move later on. I don’t have the time today to do what I did last time with regards to only having a 2minute downtime - so enjoy yourselves at the pub :cheers:

DT.

Cool work again Malc, happy to chip in to keep the doors open if it comes to it :slight_smile:

echo the above…give us a shout if any funds are needed, just a quicky is the Amazon link still active? if yes can you point us to it please and a quickly can you check my TPR.net mail from your end? looking for Amazon order conformation.

Curly

also willing to throw mud at the wall on this. just shout if you need access to the piggy bank

a swift overnight move to the next level VPS that I have access to has been done.

forums will be returned back to the 1st server if this causes the other sites to experience issues.

Host messed up my dedicated purchase :sigh:

DT.

if you are reading this then your dns has updated and we are back on a dedicated server.

This one is hosted in Leeds, and for the most part as a high percentage of our members are UK I’m hoping that with a newly optimised server we will be back to normal service and not the disruption of the past few days. Trying to save money in the long term in this case has proven a tad harder than expected.

Overnight last night, the next level up of VPS did manage, but now we are back to having a fully dedicated server for TPR usage. 2.53Ghz celeron and 512Mb of dedicated memory will see us good again.

Just keep remembering to use the affiliate links on crunchyhog.co.uk :slight_smile:

DT.

DNS has just come in for me, good to see things shipshape again :thumbsup:

DNS was it ?

back to life in the last hour for me on Virginmedia

Took awhile here, back up just about ten minutes ago. All is well and loading great.
I’ll talk to Mandy about getting some funds together.
Heidi

Although… the site is still down

Is there an ETA.
or do I need to change links back to the forum for awhile?

this move required the registration of a new dns server, I forced it as much as I could by leaving the old ones running with DNS pointing to the new home.

For me, all sites are up and running, same on the remote sites I’ve got access to as well. I am still securing the dedicated server and locking it down a bit more than a standard install. I’m already missing the joys of a Plesk control panel, but a VPS just couldn’t cope with the variety of things I need to do for work + tpr + personal. TPR is the meaty bit, but I’m happy to chip in as the advantage of having a nice dedicated server is too great for me.

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;441634]this move required the registration of a new dns server, I forced it as much as I could by leaving the old ones running with DNS pointing to the new home.

For me, all sites are up and running, same on the remote sites I’ve got access to as well. I am still securing the dedicated server and locking it down a bit more than a standard install. I’m already missing the joys of a Plesk control panel, but a VPS just couldn’t cope with the variety of things I need to do for work + tpr + personal. TPR is the meaty bit, but I’m happy to chip in as the advantage of having a nice dedicated server is too great for me.

DT.[/QUOTE]

No one can deny all your effort.
Thanks for everything
I am still getting a 404 on main site if the WWW is added but not if removed. I’ll just remove that. 301 redirect needed?

ipconfig /flushdns

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

62.105.77.130	teamphoenixrising.net
62.105.77.130	forums.teamphoenixrising.net

do a few nslookup teamphoenixrising.net and www.teamphoenixrising.net and it’ll help force the dns update. :smiley:

DT.