Software Firewall

I’ve not been using one for a while now (probably a year or so!) as I trust my router one and I’ve disabled wireless. However there is a probability that I’ll be moving into halls of accommodation as a sub warden in a few months (ie end of March if I get the job).

Therefore I feel I should be installing a software firewall again to make sure I can prevent access to my PC.

Can anyone recommend one?

What OS? I just use the standard windows one, and I think I’m tight. I’ve had people run simulated attacks against me and they couldn’t see anything I wasn’t expecting.

Damski

PC Tools Internet Security or AVG Internet Security have both worked or me.

Although I’m also behind a router, I have the (free) Comodo Firewall installed too.

As with most, it can be a PITA when in ‘learning mode’ but I’ve been happy enough with it :slight_smile:

Windows 7.

Seems to block bits and bobs I guess, was just somewhat worried - read the clause of the AUP for the university halls and they reserve the right to port scan you etc so was thinking I should make sure my defences are up.

You can test the effectiveness of your in-bound firewall by going to: http://www.grc.com and keep following the links for “Shields Up”.

Windows XP has an in-bound firewall only (and I suspect the Windows 7 does too). The recomendation from Malwarebytes is to have a firewall that blocks traffic both ways.

The out-bound firewall (with its “learning mode”) will prevent your PC from participating in Denial of Service attacks, and should block any malware from calling home.

I thought that Windows 7 was both ways as well? Some programs definitely ask to dial out.

Might give Comodo a try as I’ve used that in the past and remember it being ok.

It seems windows 7 firewall is capable of inbound & outbound filtering - but the outbound has to be set up and configured correctly in the settings menu.

I can never be bothered with all that pratting about … and I’d guess many users wouldn’t understand what they were playing with anyway, much easier to get a 3rd party one that does the basics for you :wink:

My guess regarding the port scanning is a part of the AUP governing what you can run on the network, possibly relating to filesharing or P2P stuff of any description rather than trying to batter their way into your PC.

Theres a simpler way than a firewall to stop them connecting to P2P service ports on your PC …

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;450016]My guess regarding the port scanning is a part of the AUP governing what you can run on the network, possibly relating to filesharing or P2P stuff of any description rather than trying to batter their way into your PC.

Theres a simpler way than a firewall to stop them connecting to P2P service ports on your PC …[/QUOTE]

That does seem to the reasoning behind it after my initial “shock” of reading it.

No more Linuxtracker.org then :frowning: