Sorry for my stupid stupid slacking

Had my work machine go down last weekend so after fiddling about with it Monday morning without sucess, took one from under a spare desk. Got the broken one home that evening and found the memory was borked. No problem, borrow a stick from my home dual DDR machine, take it back to work the next day and install back under my desk. Crunching loss around 48hrs :frowning: but could have been worse.

Now the confession:- :amstupid:

Things have been a bit hectic this week (excuse) and I just realised (Sat morning) that the spare machine, also a cruncher, is still sat in my office not plugged in. Crunchin’ loss 1 whole week = 50WUs. :frowning: :frowning: :(.
Gonna have to go into the office right now and get it running.

Just as a bynote, the difference in times with my home machine now running single DDR appears negligible.

Lesson 1 - Think more about SETI & less about work.
Lesson 2 - Bangs / buck, dont go for dual matched DDR.
Lesson 3 - Make sure all crunchers have enough local cache to allow for SetiQueue machine downtime. (Did sommat right at least)

:smackbum: That’s just not cricket m8, maybe you should be banned from the Custard Baths™ till you get yourslef back online :wink:

Wow 48h!
I just lost about 3-4 :woot: when my cpu-fan shut off this night.
That think sure smells like it was going of in flames if it would have run 5 minutes longer:mad: . Good thing that it was an P4 and no AMD. Else I had to get a new Proc as well . So I only need to get a new fan.:rolleyes:

Anyone knows how stupid it looks when an 80x80 Casefan is attached on an HS with 60x60 mounting holes.:wink:

Originally posted by riddlermarc
:smackbum: That’s just not cricket m8, maybe you should be banned from the Custard Baths™ till you get yourslef back online :wink:

Noooo. Custard withdrawl symptoms starting to bite already.

btw OT. What name are you crunching under now, I see you 500 ahead of me and not moving. (or are you stashing bigtime) :scared:

Originally posted by The Balrog
Things have been a bit hectic this week (excuse) and I just realised (Sat morning) that the spare machine, also a cruncher, is still sat in my office not plugged in. Crunchin’ loss 1 whole week = 50WUs. :frowning: :frowning: :(.

tut tut :nono:

Don’t worry, it happens to all of us from time to time :slight_smile:

Originally posted by ChristianWeisse
Wow 48h!
I just lost about 3-4 :woot: when my cpu-fan shut off this night.
That think sure smells like it was going of in flames if it would have run 5 minutes longer:mad: . Good thing that it was an P4 and no AMD. Else I had to get a new Proc as well . So I only need to get a new fan.:rolleyes:

:eek: I can recommend Motherboard Monitor m8 :wink: It keeps a check on your temps and you can set it to shutdown if temps get too high - it can even monitor fan rpm speeds I think. Anyone leaving their machine on 24/7 or unattended for long periods, should use some kind of protection like that. :cool:

Aye, I can feel for you mate. I’ve got a rig that’s been down quite a few weeks now:(

Originally posted by dirtydog
:eek: I can recommend Motherboard Monitor m8 :wink: It keeps a check on your temps and you can set it to shutdown if temps get too high - it can even monitor fan rpm speeds I think. Anyone leaving their machine on 24/7 or unattended for long periods, should use some kind of protection like that. :cool:

The Abit can nshut down by Bios. My Ga-8IEXP has some warning settings but no shutdown settings.
It somehow has itself shutdown anyway.
Just stupid, the fan has a MTBF of 50000 hours (over 5y years) and not just 4 month:mad: