Sorry more questions - Z87 mobos

So now 99% sure my board is faulty and need an upgrade. Was looking at an Ivybridge based bundle but Haswell actually isn’t any more to buy.

So a few noddy questions. Excuse me for being a numpty but it’s honestly years since I’ve looked at this stuff!

1. If I get a Z87 based board it’ll have built in graphics. Can I use that to run my third monitor in conjunction with the 560ti running the primary and 2nd monitor? I ask in case the onboard needs to be disabled with a card in the x16 slot. If it will all just work I don’t need to install my ATI card.

2. Most of the boards seem to come with 6x SATA 3 connectors. If I connect 1x SATA3 SSD, a BDROM and 4x SATA2 HDDs will all the ports drop to the speed of the slowest device? i.e. will the SSD end up running at SATA 2?

3. I’m assuming the recommendation is still that 1.5v RAM is best? The supported memory list for a Gigabyte board I’m looking at seems to mostly include 1.65v?

cheers

1. Not sure.

2. The speed of each device per SATA port is independent of other SATA devices on the other ports. They are not tied together.

3. The 1.5V is an Intel requirement, not a mobo requirement. My recommendation still stands.

[QUOTE=Egad;465957]1. Not sure.

1. The speed of each device per SATA port is independent of other SATA devices on the other ports. They are not tied together.

2. The 1.5V is an Intel requirement, not a mobo requirement. My recommendation still stands.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - board and memory now selected based on this. Really very useful :slight_smile:

If I can use the onboard graphics then great, else I pop the 6450 back in. The other 2 points were more important. Shopping time!