Space Science BOINC infrastructure Projects

This sticky post is for “Space Science” projects that are operational using the Boinc infrastructre and application.

As new projects appear these will be added to the post, if you wish to offer new useful links or information regarding a project in the sticky, please post your information and a moderator will add to the project post and credit you with the links.

As with all Boinc project the following scoring system applies :slight_smile:

DT.

A Quick Guide to Getting Started

1. Go Here to create your account, or if you are already a SETI@Home Classis user use this page to activate your BOINC account. You will receive an email with your account id to the address you specified.

2. Download and install the latest version of Boinc for your operating system from Here
    Mirror download site Here

3. Enter you Account Key. Project URL: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu

4. Remember to turn off your screensaver and Join TPR

A selection of links for the Seti project that uses Boinc to manage the computations of the project.

[b]Home Page[/b]

[b]Server Status[/b]

[b]Berkeley Top Teams[/b]

[b]Berkeley TPR Stats[/b]

[b]Top Computers[/b]

[b]Kevin’s Uber Stats[/b]

[b]Working Stats[/b]

[b]Boinc Stats[/b]

[b]Phoenix Rising @ Boinc Stats[/b]

Running Boinc and Seti

Unlike previous versions of the Seti model, there is no major advantage from running the command line version against the screen saver version. This is due to how the Boinc project operates and that the screen saver now uses OpenGL to display the graphical information of the units your computer is processing.

If you do wish to run the Boinc application as a service this is done by a command switch where Boinc wil install and configure the service for you. For a full list of the switches of the Boinc CLI please see Here.

More Links

[b]BoincSpy - A utility to monitor the status of a Boinc project from the “client_state” file[/b]

[b]Boincview by Amanheiss, view SetiBoinc status and control remote SetiBoinc using the GUI_RPC method using this app[/b]

[b]A Seti Boinc Stats Counter[/b]

These instructions are for Fedora Core, I can’t see any reason why they shouldn’t work on Mandrake, Red Hat et al either.

First you need to know where BOINC is installed - I’ve used /home/boinc in this example - change to suit your setup.

Once you know this, find out your client name. If it is the downloaded 4.13 it should be boinc_4.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu or somesuch - again modify this in my example if it doesn’t fit your setup.

[i]<TIP:>
To make your life easier when the client is upgraded, change it’s name by renaming the file so that the version number is removed. In this case

su
<your superuser password here>
cd /home/boinc
mv boinc_4.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu boinc
exit

Now wherever in these instructions it shows “boinc_4.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu” replace with “boinc”. When the next version comes out, download and untar to /home/boinc, stop your running boinc client, and redo the above with the new client name e.g.

su
cd /home/boinc
mv boinc_4.14_i686-pc-linux-gnu boinc
exit

Then restart your boinc client

Now you won’t need to edit /etc/rc.local every time boinc is upgraded.

<End Tip>[/i]

To start boinc:

Login as superuser, change to boinc directory, start boinc as a background task, logout superuser:

su
cd /home/boinc
nohup nice ./boinc_4.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu -return_results_immediately &
exit

To start boinc automatically when the machine first boots

Login as superuser, change your local startup file to start boinc as a background task, logout superuser:

[b]su
vi /etc/rc.local
:blush:
i
<press enter>

#start boinc client

cd /home/boinc
nohup nice ./boinc_4.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu -return_results_immediately &
<press the escape key>
:wq
exit[/b]

To stop boinc

Login as superuser, find boinc background task, stop it, logout superuser:

su
ps -ef|grep boinc

This will display all running tasks containing the text “boinc” - you want the second column displayed - after the username responsible for the task - in this case root. Lets assume this number is “2476”:

kill 2476
exit

If your boinc client has hung and you want to kill it, but it won’t respond to the above, replace with:

kill -9 2476
exit

To see if your client is running

Change to boinc directory - view logfile

cd /home/boinc
tail -24 nohup.out

This command will exit immediately after displaying the last 24 lines of the logfile. To make it display lines as the client outputs them:

cd /home/boinc
tail -f nohup.out