Standby Saver

Is anyone using a standby saver?

I was considering getting one and thought I’d see if anyone else uses one. I’m interested in the PC one as I can reach the wall plug where my Xbox and TV are plugged into.

£20 for that :confused:

I don’t get it Drez, you either have something on or off, if it’s in standby and you want it off, turn the bugger off, if not then leave it alone :smiley:

The world has gone bloody well over the top with all this Eco friendly bollox, if you want to save on Electric bills sell the Computer/TV/DVD/Microwave/Toaster/ etc :lol:

^ Gotta agree. Seems to me by buying into it you’re helping some rich barsteward on Draon’s Den get richer. As for the ON/OFF switch, it’s what a stiff finger is for… as well as. :smiley:

That bit will have me chuckling all evening, thanks Lonely :smiley: :tiphat:

PC’s draw vampire power even when off. As do printers and most probably my speakers.

I’m sure you mean ‘when on standby:wink:

… unless you know something I don’t :eek:

I can see the theory behind it.
The mains switch is a thing of the past, most devices now have a standard DC input and a country specific power brick but no switch on the 240v side.
These bricks get warm even when you switch the supplied unit “off”.

How long these bricks take to use £20 of electricity is anybodies guess though.

There are probably equal savings to be made by backing the fridge down a couple of notches and putting a jumper on when the house is cold.

On another Eco note I worked out today (yes I was THAT bored) that my commute to work generates 30kg of CO2.
As a worst case its 17Kg of fuel but almost twice that in CO2
:confused:

[QUOTE=MrTFWitt;446795]
As a worst case its 17Kg of fuel but almost twice that in CO2
:confused:[/QUOTE]

Your burning fuel with air - therefore some of the mass comes from the air. :wink:

Interesting thing about the CO2 generation through commuting TFW, which led me to considering how much I’ve generated by being home on sick for a fortnight

Extra cigs smoked, kettle boiled more for drinks, toilet used more, PC, Stereo, DVD on much more, meals between meals, increased internet use, etc etc

I haven’t the foggiest how to work that out, but I reckon I’ve done irreparable damage to the environment :smiley:

My excuse to going to work is that at least they’ll have the heat on, I can use there electric etc and not use mine :smiley:

Just what I was thinking myself Dez, it gets expensive staying at home :lol:

I got a free one for my computer and my TV through Eon.

Pc one works fine, I shut it down and then all the extras get cut of power a few seconds later, when I fire it up the same in reverse although it would be nice if you could change the timer a little as the delay is a little too short in the boot process.

The TV one seemed good but for some reason it kept getting the “off” signal randomly and shutting the whole lot down a few times an evening while I was watching it. It seems my plasma TV emits infra red ? I only say its the telly because my windows remote sensor sits under the telly and the red light comes on randomly when the tv is on but as soon as I turn it off the light settles off. Anyway, got fed up with it and put it in the cupboard, now I turn off the socket every night again.

Asking elsewhere, it looks like I cant use the PC version… my current desktop is a net top and the Atom draws so little power the thing thinks that your PC is off and shuts everything down!

Been thinking about a few of these too.
The standby consumption in our house is 370W. Haven’t worked out how much that costs.

this is always an interesting one, my nanna has been turning her tv off at the socket because of all the scaremongering and news reports etc… i’ve been round twice now to retune her telly as it lost all its settings (i think it was a wharfdale but not sure), so thats one group fighting against turning things off :sigh:

I wonder why TV/DVD manufacturers decided not to incorporate an ON/OFF button into their equipment, the media (Government) have been shoving energy saving down our throats for long enough for someone to notice the irony :confused:

I don’t know, maybe I’m just a sarcastic militant barsteward, and thoroughly pissed off at the way cheap shots are taken at the general public about how we should go about saving energy, even though any we do save has already been wasted by virtue of the ways and means in which we were told to save it :sigh:

Bugger it, I’m gonna go book a business class flight to South America to attend a conference on how to save energy :bs: :wall:

Well it may corner like a boat but 30Kg of CO2 is nothing compared to a really big boat.

Some interesting facts to consider when you see MADE IN CHINA on that bargain priced patio furniture set.
All taken from HERE

Good post TFW … and when you consider that probably 90% of that cheap tat very quickly ends up in a council recycling center (more tax) was it really worth shipping it over ?

Bring back the days of Quality not Quantity says me :nod:

Did I read it correctly? It looks like a remote controlled power strip.

Wouldn’t its own electronics that power the remote receiver be considered a vampire?

[QUOTE=wolram;446817]Good post TFW … and when you consider that probably 90% of that cheap tat very quickly ends up in a council recycling center (more tax) was it really worth shipping it over ?

Bring back the days of Quality not Quantity says me :nod:[/QUOTE]

This could be a growth area then, shipping wine and whisky back and forth under sail. Who needs wind turbines and all that new fangled jiggerypokery.