Starving in Arizona

What do you call a MAOJC with a dime on his head!

A nail! :lol: :chuckle:

Jeez I am having trouble suviving on the 1800 calories they are allowing me. I have lost 15 lbs (isn’t that about a stone :))

To make matters worse ithe blood sugar thing is tough to deal with. The good news is I tested myself this afternoon and the blood sugar was only 88 mg/dL! Need to hold it around 100 to be in the pink! Big gains from 2 weeks ago in hospital when the level was approaching 300! :eek: They were hitting me with insulin 4 times a day. If I keep this up then I won’t need to go on the daily insulin regime! :yippee: It is all diet diet diet! There is some variety, chicken, fish, vegetables, egg substitute, some cottage cheese and a few nuts. I can have a limited amount of fruit as well. Thank god for the chilli oil. It at least makes that stuff edible. Things grilled and stir fried in a non-stick wok.

The next big hurdle is to completly give up the cigarettes. That is the toughest nut to crack. I am doing much better than I was pre-hospital but not off them completely yet. Down to about 1/3 of my former consumption. Trying to lower it everyday. Some days I suceed some I don’t. :frowning:

You have my sympathies m8, having lost about 2st recently through a depression-induced self-starvation regime, it’s no fun.

At least you’re on top of it - first hurdle jumped. If you manage to crack the “next big hurdle”, you’re sorted! If you do, share your experience - might help me and others to start down that path too.

Keep at it!

Is your diet to be one that is low in sugar and low in fat TLG?

As you know I’ve just started weight watchers, so I can have a look in my book and see what things are really low in points (the lower the points value, the less calories & saturated fat).

There is also a list of “free” food in it, meaning that it has no significant calorific value and you can eat as much as you want, such as curry powder, mustard, soy sauce and worcestershire sauce.

At least using some of these “free” foods you can give the chicken/fish a variety of flavours.

I think you’re doing absolutely wonderful and the stopping smoking completely will come in time :wink:

When I gave up smoking or rather tried to the first time about 4 years ago, I failed awfully. Then one morning I realised it was much more a mental challenge than a physical one. Once I set my self to thinking that I was no longer doing something that’s bad for me instead of walking round thinking I couldn’t have something I craved, it all clicked into place.

That was nearly four years ago and I haven’t smoked since.
I don’t mean to preach or gloat, good luck Major :slight_smile: if you crack it you’ll be a far healthier (and wealthier man)

good to hear your doing good m8 and are all better :slight_smile:

If you can, with your current medical concerns, try Zyban. I took it for about 4 weeks, starting 2 weeks before I gave up and carrying on until unfortunately I got a rash from it. However it gave me the start I needed and I haven’t had a smoke in 107 days (not that I’m counting).

It’s a strange drug, I found that I became unvexed about not smoking. The only thing I really had to concerntrate on was the habitual side of it. Which came down to “wouldn’t it be nice to have a smoke now” rather than “if I don’t have a smoke now I’m going to strangle someone”.

Anyway, one step at a time and all that (and it does get easier and easier).

Well done on the diet mate!

Originally posted by barcode
[B]If you can, with your current medical concerns, try Zyban. I took it for about 4 weeks, starting 2 weeks before I gave up and carrying on until unfortunately I got a rash from it. However it gave me the start I needed and I haven’t had a smoke in 107 days (not that I’m counting).

It’s a strange drug, I found that I became unvexed about not smoking. The only thing I really had to concerntrate on was the habitual side of it. Which came down to “wouldn’t it be nice to have a smoke now” rather than “if I don’t have a smoke now I’m going to strangle someone”.

Anyway, one step at a time and all that (and it does get easier and easier).

Well done on the diet mate! [/B]

I had to stop taking Zyban for the same reason barcode. Unfortunately I didn’t keep up with not smoking after I stopped taking it :frowning:

I don’t think TLG will be allowed to use it though, as there was some health concerns over it.

Congrats to you though on stopping :thumbsup:

Pleased to hear your diet is working (14lbs is a stone). As one who really enjoys their food, I can sympathise with the ‘tasteless’ factor :frowning:

Originally posted by Hidden_Spirit
[B]Is your diet to be one that is low in sugar and low in fat TLG?

[/B]

YUP low fat, low carbs. Like Atkins diet but not fatty stuff. protien protien protien and complex carbs.

I did try Zyban before but I couldn’t sleep at all on it. It is an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) and has lots of nasty side effects. I do think that the nicotine gums do help and may try those again. I have stopped smoking in the house all together and so must make a concerted effort to go outside. Somewhat of a habit breaker. You really gotta want one when it is 45C outside! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by MAOJC
Thank god for the chilli oil. It at least makes that stuff edible.

You’ll find once the smoking stops you’ll be able to taste the food too :wink: :devil:

Glad to hear you’re keeping up with the regime.

SB 1.too lazy to log out of brucies rig, 2.ex-smoker :wink:

I seem to fail to see where Arizona comes into this? :confused:

Keep going - it’s worth it and Mama and the rest of the family will appeciate you being around as long as possible :wink:

The blood sugar thing is easy when you get the hang of it - you just need time to find your “pattern” and the dieting won’t help. My step daughter is insulin dependant diabetic so I know a bit about these things :rolleyes:

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
I seem to fail to see where Arizona comes into this? :confused:

It is where I live! :slight_smile:

Well you’re probably alone among us in not having to worry about too much humidity forming when you cool your computers. :nod:

FYI I’m a Yankee.

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
[B]Well you’re probably alone among us in not having to worry about too much humidity forming when you cool your computers. :nod:

FYI I’m a Yankee. [/B]

I am a yankee to, originally from Michigan. not much problem with condensation here but the heat is a real problem. It was 114F yesterday and the AC worked like a dog to keep up.