Strange CD drive?

Just created a Norton Ghost boot CD for later use and am trying it on my main PC. Boots OK from the CD in the DVD drive, but then fails saying drive not available. Checking My Computer, the system lists a CD drive H, which I don’t have and it seems to be looking for it. Anyone come across this before and is there any way I can make it go away please? (I’m using winXP Home)

Probably a virtual drive. Are you running Daemon Tools or did Norton Ghost create an image drive? Try disabling the Norton Image drive.

No daemon or virtual drives. It was there before I created the Ghost disc. I had a CD drive in the machine, but this 2nd CD showed up even when that was there. I removed the CD player and the IDE cables and just left the Sata DVD/CD writer in the PC, but this drive still shows up in Windows Explorer and My Computer. It does not show up in Device Manager/Hardware Manager. and when you right click on it and go to properties it show this:

any card readers attached? or bluetooth adapters?

… or USB memory stick ?

Nope! No sticks plugged in ATM. Thought of that myself. There’s only three devices plugged into the mobo, IDE HD, Sata DVD RAM drive, 3.5inch floppy drive, not even a web camera or anything else bar a PCIe graphics card and a PCI modem and a USB printer (no flash drive card slots on it). Confused? Yep!

/edit Found it :rolleyes: I’ve used UltraISO in the past and there is an option to create a virtual drive or not and somehow it got ticked. All gone now. thank goodness :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Droid;431990]Nope! No sticks plugged in ATM. Thought of that myself. There’s only three devices plugged into the mobo, IDE HD, Sata DVD RAM drive, 3.5inch floppy drive, not even a web camera or anything else bar a PCIe graphics card and a PCI modem and a USB printer (no flash drive card slots on it). Confused? Yep!

/edit Found it :rolleyes: I’ve used UltraISO in the past and there is an option to create a virtual drive or not and somehow it got ticked. All gone now. thank goodness :)[/QUOTE]

Knew it had to be a virtual drive, glad you found the beast.

Cheers Juggy :thumbsup: