Switching BroadBand

Anyone care to talk me out of it?

currently on 8000 Pro, Zen Internet, £35 / month 50Gb limit

looking at broadband max, Sky, £10 / month Unlimited (no fair use policy, truly uncapped)

tell me why I shouldnt?

Go for Bethere if they’re in your area

truly uncapped, I get 16meg (up to 24) down 1meg up, £18 pcm inc vat.

static ip

www.bethere.co.uk :thumbsup:

Sky is actually truly uncapped… and they said they wouldnt change that…

you cant fault that… also very decent speeds…

Atm bang for buck seems to be O2 broadband :wink: also unlimited…

We’re on Sky and have no complaints whatsoever.

O2 :nod:

I get 8Mb for £7.50 a month.

:withstup:

Hey Mulda :smiley: Hope you’re all well :slight_smile:

Sorry Damski, didn’t mean to thread hijack :stuck_out_tongue:

well looks like sky get’s a thumbs up, no horror stories which is what I was after. and no hid’s hijak away, Hi Mulda,

Would just like to say, consider BeThere at least… their support is what has swung it for me, people that speak english, and official forums where “normal customers” have been made mods etc :slight_smile:

One horror story coming right up. they sent my neighbour a bad router and i tried alsorts to fix it, customer support was useles, they told me to do everything i already had done and still didn’t want to believe it didn’t work, after weeks of fighting with customer support they sent a new router… if i remember right this itself took a few weeks to arrive, plugged new one in and it picked up first time. speed is still not what i’d call anything like fast and in peak times it was slower than 56k with timeouts happening frequently. the machine its on doesnt help as its ancient but it still should be a quicker connection than it is
this is a neighbour of mine, and she paid for 3 month’s of broadband before i actually got it to work!
to say the least i wasn’t impressed, i would have told them were to put there braodband after about an hour of being onto there free customer support and maybe it would have sorted the problem quicker but unfortunately it wasnt mine to do so

Bully

Just Curious… is all the UK have some kind of bandwidth limits.

Here using COX comm. it is unlimited. and speeds…
well just take a peek.
Download:
http://www.gotomyhelp.com/bandwidthmeter/download-result.php?kbps=15653

Upload:
http://www.gotomyhelp.com/bandwidthmeter/upload-result.php?kbps=1320

Having restrictions would just drive me insane… I know how to burn bandwidth LOL

don’t think many people in the Uk see those types of speeds :wink:

8 meg connection is the general norm ( 16/24 in cabled area’s but not UK wide)

Std 8 meg service your prob talking 3-4 meg average on a 8 meg line.

Restrictions on many services unless you splash the cash and even then there are some fair use limits even on unrestricted to nobble the heaviest of users.

A quick test just now considering its a weekend just gave me 2meg which does not surprise me as my provider sold out to Tiscally and they are ^&%$

standard adsl is “up to 8meg downsteam” (upstream varies, approx 256k or 512k).
Available to 90% or more of uk.

adsl2 is “up to 24meg downstream” (upstream varies, 1meg or 2meg usually).
Available only in certain regions where BT have enable the exchanges, or where 3rd parties have installed kit.

The “up to” part of the offering is dependant on the customer’s location, specifically the distance between their home and their nearest exchange… It also varies greatly on the quality of the line and the quality of the wiring in their home.

Eg: I’m on “up to 24meg” adsl2, but I only get 16meg on that due to the distance to the exchange - not that I’m complaining :wink:

Most companies in the UK also apply a “fair use” policy which is usually in the small print if you can find it at all, which puts a limit on how much you can download per month. 2Gig is not uncommon, but you can pay more to have a higher cap depending on your usage. If you’re lucky or wise and choose a suitable ISP you can occasionally find a truly uncapped service, but these are few and far between.

Nearly ALL services are falsely advertised as “unlimited” which is utter BS and really “grinds my gears” ™ :furious:

But this is the fair usage limits.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Rich

[QUOTE=PMM;429662]don’t think many people in the Uk see those types of speeds :wink:

8 meg connection is the general norm ( 16/24 in cabled area’s but not UK wide)

Std 8 meg service your prob talking 3-4 meg average on a 8 meg line.

Restrictions on many services unless you splash the cash and even then there are some fair use limits even on unrestricted to nobble the heaviest of users.

A quick test just now considering its a weekend just gave me 2meg which does not surprise me as my provider sold out to Tiscally and they are ^&%$[/QUOTE]

Are you on Pipex? We left them just after they sold out to Tiscally because they were crap. We got out of our contract because they repeatedly broke their end of the contract. Not least by taking money every month that we didn’t owe them :rolleyes:

Trademarked by Family Guy already I would imagine… :wink:

I’m on 8Mb O2. I get 7.5Mb down and 512K up. FUP is non existent yet. I asked O2 about this and they said that they’re testing to see how the internet is used before they’ll bring on in but I think there’s a theretical limit of 50Gb a month.

I’ve had to contact Sky support 3 times so far - twice for no net access that turned out to be exchange down and once because their profiling run had left me on 4Mb down. On each occasion the phone was answered by someone in Ireland and the ‘complaint’ was dealt with professionally and quickly.

As an aside, if you have Sky as your phone service provider then all calls to support are free.

Indeedy… :nod:

mulda, I’d be happy for a steady 4 meg down, looks like time to switch, sorry Zen you are good, but the wallet is doing the talking.

Was only a problem since it profiled the line @ 15Mb & I usually get 13-14Mb :wink: