Team Phoenix Rising October05 News

As the email says, following on from the positive feedback received last month, we have the TPR News for October.

Hello again.

We had a lot of positive feedback from the previous email so we thought that now was a good opportunity to bring you news of what has been happening recently and we will endeavour to make this a regular newsletter.

Firstly, a huge welcome to those who have joined TPR since the last newsletter. We hope you will have a long and happy stay with us.

Secondly, it has been wonderful to see a number of ‘old friends’ come back to the forums and let us know what has been happening, or even just say hello. TPR has always looked on itself as a family and we love hearing from you. Even if your personal circumstances make regular visits difficult, please drop by occasionally and say hello.

Three of our forum members are taking part in the Banjul challenge. Basically you buy a cheap vehicle, drive it through France, Spain, North Africa (including the Sahara Desert) down to Banjul where the vehicle is then auctioned to raise money for local Gambian charities. The ‘Flying Fakirs’ comprise MrTFWitt, Sgt. Bilko and Mojo. They are aiming to raise at least £5,000 for Macmillan Cancer Relief in addition to the Gambian charity fundraising. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. You can donate online by following this link Ian Knowles is fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support

Bev, Mojo’s wife, is also running ten kilometres up and down the beautiful (but very hilly) Powys countryside in aid of Cancer Relief. If you would like to support her in this worthwhile cause you can sponsor her here https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/bevorson

On the Distributed Computing front, TPR is still an active participant in many projects. The Folding@Home team is 90th in the world, the D2OL team is 10th and we have an excellent representation on many of the BOINC projects. One the the newest BOINC projects has been Rosetta, a project trying to predict and design protein structures with the aim of finding cures for many human diseases. This has now moved out of Beta testing and is a fully-fledged project. Given its aims, this has got to be a worthwhile project and we would encourage you to lend any support you can to this, or any of the other projects.

Work is proceeding on the BOINC stats parser engine, but the project is not yet finished. You can follow its progress and make useful suggestions in this thread http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=34989

24th to 26th November sees our fourth birthday party. We will be meeting at Mojo’s pub, The Lowfield Inn, and having a great time. There are big plans afoot for a huge hog roast or Mexican Barbeque for the Saturday night which will be followed by an enormous (or at least very loud!) fireworks display. Whilst it may be difficult to stay for the whole weekend, we have many who simply drop by for a few hours and all are welcome. We also have some of our overseas friends drop by to say hello using TeamSpeak or good old MSN. It is a family event, so do not be afraid to bring your partners and children. If you are interested, please sign up in this thread http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=34687 so that we can ensure there is adequate food etc. If you are unsure about where The Lowfield Inn is there are directions on their web site http://www.lowfieldinn.co.uk

We have just paid our hosting fees for this year but you can make sure we have enough money for next year by using our affiliate links when you shop online (a full list can be found here http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=27143). It costs you nothing, but TPR get paid each time you purchase through those links. Thanks.

Finally, just to show how small the Internet has made our world. We had a thread about which radio station you listen to. MAOJC replied that he listened to the Internet radio station http://www.yourinternetradio.com which (as most things do these days) got Googled. The owner of the radio station saw this in an Internet search and registered on our forums to say hello and thank MAOJC for listening to his station. Shortly afterwards, George was signed up to crunching a project for TPR and we have a link from his radio home page. It just goes to show that you never know who is reading our posts, or where the next member is coming from!

We look forward to seeing as many as possible at our birthday party.

Yours,

The TPR Admin and Moderator team.

May I thank Alta Rica for the composition and the moderator team for the feedback and ideas for the content. :clap: :clap: :trophy: Top job team :trophy:

DT.

:smiley: Great job DT!

:thumbsup: even if you are a bunch of tarts and strumpets! :wink:

Wow didn’t know TPR, was so “involved”

Great job DT - Maybe soon I will make a trip down there.

Would like to see everyone :slight_smile:

Well good luck on your Charity Fund - And good luck to Mojo’s Wife running up the Powy’s countryside.

Excelleent.

Gonna make the newsletter a regular thing?

That is the plan.

Well I think it’s a great idea.

Keep it up :slight_smile:

Couldn’t have put it better myself, fantastic job guys & gal :thumbsup:

I certainly wasn’t expecting to be mentioned in the newsletter. What a pleasant surprise! :slight_smile:

I want to thank everybody for the warm welcome you have given me. Many online communities are somewhat less-than-warm to new arrivals, but everything here has been positive!

In the week or so that I’ve been here, I have taken the time to read through many old threads and posts. I’m still making my way through some of them. Any other newbie that does this is likely to form the same impressions that I did…

• There are a lot of very talented and experienced people here! No matter what question or issue comes up, there’s someone here that can address it. The wide range of knowledge is very impressive!

• There are no condescending attitudes toward people who ask questions or need help (if there are, I haven’t seen any of them) and there really are no “stupid questions”. It is refreshing, and all too rare, to see an online community where the top gurus do not behave like know-it-all jerks.

• Everybody seems to have a sense of humor. That comes through very clearly as one reads through the threads. People here don’t appear to take offense at being the butt of a harmless well-intended joke, and they are able to laugh at themselves.

Again, I’d like to thank everybody for the warm welcome! :slight_smile:

I’ve been here nearly a year and I’m still reading through the old and not so old threads. Talk about an active community.

I love this place.

Slightly off-topic, still trying to persuade the family I need to go to Mojo’s bash.

Dirts