The Hog is awake, quick tidy up before Doris notices

http://www.allprojectstats.com/showuser.php?projekt=15&id=8838918

Some may remember that I had the task of decommissioning the hog after Bob parted with us. Well, the machines didn’t yield much, most were gonners for one reason or another and got some off for spares with British Heart Foundation getting the proceeds. I’ve had a few older machines recently, and for a few days my i7 will run on the account as well.

But, I did keep something from the hog, and all the parts, the motherboard standoffs etc.

So, this photo is from a few weeks ago, the Hog “skeleton” now sits in the shed, holding toolboxes and general stuff that is found in a man shed :slight_smile: a spare car battery, bench vice, 10" pink subwoofer - normal stuff.

So why this sudden update, out of the blue, well - www.crunchyhog.co.uk has had a facelift, checked all the affiliate links are current, checked they are bringing in a dribble of cash. All in a wordpress site so if anyone has comments ideas etc, all welcome. My wonderful wife and fellow worker within our little software company will keep things updated every so often and keeps applying for affiliates before she does online shopping!

Now, the massive update. I’ve been happy hosting TPR for many years on the dedicated server, but recently we moved host - much much cheaper and no need for me to put in any form of subsidy personally or through my company.

So, all I ask is that you check on the site, just in case, when making online purchases - every penny raised through the hog site will come into my company as that was easier to setup the affiliate accounts and then once a year - that money will exit and go straight to the British Heart Foundation.

Starting from now, clean slate, no costs for hosting TPR as it’s under a reseller account that I need anyway and we are not the busy site we once were. The company will provide the hosting, and all affiliate earnings will go to the British Heart Foundation.

Bob, I still remember the day of wondering round a true geeks house in sorry circumstances but in wonder at how so much could fit in one house, and there in the garage was the awesome hog.

DT.

I’ve been buying Kindle books recently and if I find any that take my fancy I’ll put them through the affiliate link!!

Excellent job DT and a brilliant way to honour Bob’s memory. Just wish there were more visitors to the site to add their contribution. Any plans to rebuild the Hog at all? I think I remember a thread way back about possible team members buying a board, RAM and the other basics to start the ball rolling and adding boards to get the beast up to speed again. Think it’s still a possibility?

[QUOTE=Droid;465796]I’ve been buying Kindle books recently and if I find any that take my fancy I’ll put them through the affiliate link!!

Excellent job DT and a brilliant way to honour Bob’s memory. Just wish there were more visitors to the site to add their contribution. Any plans to rebuild the Hog at all? I think I remember a thread way back about possible team members buying a board, RAM and the other basics to start the ball rolling and adding boards to get the beast up to speed again. Think it’s still a possibility?[/QUOTE]

cost of leccy pretty much kills it to be brutally honest, a TPR kick up the ass, phase 1 = hog site - no idea what phase 2 is

Just out of interest is there any scope here for a site that is a little less geeky to plaster over social networks just for the benefits of the charity? I shall try to remember to purchase through these links and try to get others to. I know there are hundreds of sites like this that people rake the benefits of advertising and affiliates but just a thought.

with topcashback, quicdco and all the others fighting and the current state of the economy, I doubt it :frowning:

Even for businesses the days of hosing loads of servers in house are coming to an end. If we want to replace the hog perhaps it should be in the cloud?

Does anyone know what sort of output you could expect from this amazon ec2 instance…

Cluster GPU Quadruple Extra Large 22 GiB memory, 33.5 EC2 Compute Units, 2 x NVIDIA Tesla “Fermi” M2050 GPUs…

I think the 33.5 Compute units = 16 Intel Xeon X5570 cores

If we used spot instances each instance would cost $0.54 per hour.

I looked into it, and actually it worked out cheaper to put your own rigs into a 1/4rack, fixed cost.

1/4 rack (16u) I’m paying £160 ish a month for, own hardware limited amps though, but with the newer tech and lower consumption that isn’t a large issue, the initial capital outlay is though or I’d have taken a couple of the spare U in the rack already :smiley:

DT.

How many amps do you get for that? It’s been a few years since my support days, i don’t have much to do with racking servers anymore. Current was always the limiting factor back then, we had the ridiculous situation of renting an entire rack for a single ibm blade center that pretty much used all the available current leaving the other 3/4 of the rack empty.

I guess cloud platforms only make sense if you want to get a temporary :stomp: on. $10.80 for 20 hours of 16 Xeon X5570 cores and 896 CUDA cores sounds quite reasonable (considering 0 outlay and no contracts).

BS

funny, I just got this months invoice

£151 ex vat for 11u, 3amps, 150Gb outbound, 32ips (29 usable) - then there are some additional things for the Dell servers that are in there, primary support in case of part failure with silly response time even though there are copies of copies of copies in the rack :smiley: