The Reading Room

Is there any call for a literary posting area within TPR?

Would that be a letter box?

i take it TPR is more ‘look at the photos’ than actually reading the words then? :wink:

maybe not the whole of tpr but ye from me :wink: :confused:

If you want a literary corner - I am cool with that :slight_smile:

Don’t read so much these days as my eyesight is too poor - but I enjoy being read to and am always on the lookout for good stuff to read/discuss.

I definitely keen:thumbsup:

We have another ‘what are you reading?’ thread running at the moment, so it wouls get SOME use anyway.

Shouldn’t that be ’ i am definately keen’ , someone needs to do more reading :devil:

its not his reading thats the problem, its his typing. its difficult for a spud to type with those little arms.

LOL, thems fighting words boy

You mean that one Jugster ?

DT.

actually i take it back. from what i can see of the avatar, its amazing he can type at all with NO arms! :wink:

i really should read more i know :frowning:

i used to read so much…i think there are tolkien book up the attic, now thats a crime :frowning:

To answer radar’s question, yes please. The scope should cover the book-related posts we have had in the past (and the current ‘what are you reading?’ thread) comfortably - ‘literary’ might be a little restrictive?

I found them pretty turgid, but I wouldn’t go as far as to criminalise their possession.

I found them pretty turgid, but I wouldn’t go as far as to criminalise their possession.

Diamond :lol:

But i went up there and got the suckers down, aswell as my fav book ever, Brother to dragons, which i thought id lost :smiley:

You want turgid, try the Silmarillion! But if you want to try the only book i ever failed to finish, have a look at Imajica by Clive Barker. It ended up being used to stop the kittens getting through a small gap behind the fireplace - took ages to find something useful for it!
But seriously, i dont mean ‘literary’ to include the ‘classics’ and exclude everything else, i just mean a sub forum for all book chats.

Please explain what the word “turgid” means?

I could use dictionary.com but I prefer a real world explanation.

turgid = you know when you had a 1000 word essay to do and could explain it in 200, well a turgid version would be one that DID explain it in 200, but still have a word count of 998 :wink:

A term used for a padded out piece I think.

DT.

Word of the Day for Friday October 10, 2003

turgid \TUR-jid, adjective:

1. Swollen, bloated, puffed up; as, “a turgid limb.”

2. Swelling in style or language; bombastic, pompous; as, “a turgid style of speaking.”

The famous Faulkner style was more than many could put up with. Its marathon sentences, its peculiar words used peculiarly, its turgid incoherence and its thick viscosity repelled.
    – Orville Prescott, “A Literary Personality,” New York Times, July 7, 1962

Brown’s novels are filled with the rigged episodes of melodrama and the turgid prose that passed for elegance among the literary circles in America before Irving and Hawthorne arrived on the scene.
    – “The Battle of the Books,” New York Times, July 10, 1988

Many young Libyans prefer to get their news from the Internet rather than the turgid evening news programs filled with slogans and cliches.
    – Amany Radwan, “The Weird, Wired World of Colonel Ghaddafi,” Time, February 6, 2001

The arm being bound, and the veins made turgid, and the valves prominent, as before, apply the thumb or finger over a vein in the situation of one of the valves in such a way as to compress it, and prevent any blood from passing upwards from the hand.
    – William Harvey, On the Motion of the Heart and Blood in Animals

Sh!t, I need to take a few online courses;)

Thanks for the explanation guys:thumbsup: