This is embaressing...

I’ve tried to install the new service pack 1 for win 7.

Win 7 prof in our case. Unfortunately, I have Kubuntu using wubi. which means I have grub on restart.

So I get a failure.

“Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) installation error: 0x800F0A12”. I tried all the self centred Windows suggestions.

Which boils down to - do I have to lose Grub to update Windows? (and therefore knacker up my stable Kubuntu?)

Cheers peeps

Does this help?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/02/17/windows-7-2008-r2-service-pack-1-fails-with-0x800f0a12.aspx

Oops. Thought I’d replied. Sorry.

Effectively, I remembered that Win 7 was installed on one HD, and a couple of other things on my much older XP (SP3) HD.

I had my system - it seems, booting into grub on the older original XP HD with Kubuntu using grub. Which was fine. I’d just scroll down to Win 7, if I needed it through the grub menu, which passed it through to what was in the bios the second HD.

Sooo, the solution was to hit f12 on boot up to switch to the drive containing Win 7, and because grub had taken over, run windows repair, let it do it’s thing, and then do win 7 update.

Been to busy to check out switching it back again yet. Report back in a while.

At least you have a short term fix which keeps you ticking over Wheelie and that’s more important.

Thanks mate. Spot on :slight_smile:

Best bring this up to date. Over the following couple of days, it happened like this.

I normally run Win 7 Ultimate, my previous OS being XP Home. That was my previous C: Drive. When I went Win 7, I bought a tetra drive and installed it on that. New C: drive.

Not a problem, just switched by hitting f12 on boot up. Then the poor XP drive got a bit neglected because I used the free XP Pro virtual available for free under Win 7 Ultimate.

Right then. I asked someone else to put Kubuntu on my system, as I was busy, and it seems they did it under Wubi from the XP Home drive.

Stay with me here…:slight_smile:

The Win7 SP1 error means that win7 was not found as the first bootable drive.

So, I tried to boot from the drive, and hit an error.

I ran a Win7 x 64 repair DVD, on that drive, and I was back in.

So what about the XP Home and Kubuntu?

I was able to hit f12 and boot into drive zero Ububtu and XP through grub, but when I wanted Win7 I got an error 0x(all the zero’s)51. Ignored it. Rebooted into XP, through grub, restarted. Ububtu through grub. Restarted.

Win7, through grub, sorted.

And now I can hit Win7 either through grub, or, as I prefer at the moment, set the Win7 drive as main drive, and switch as needed.

I know, clear as mud, sorry. Hope it helps someone.