ubuntu X problem

hi folks.

im trying to get my laptop to duel boot windows and ubuntu, and the duel booty bit works perfectly. the problem im having is when i boot the machine in ubuntu (7.10) it fails to load X and i am more than a little stumped as to why, not to mention actualy trying to fix the problem.
the machine seems to hang after i get

running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)

now if i alt+2 to get to a console i can login and the system does apear to be up n running but i cant seem to get a working x server so no desktop for me :frowning:
any ideas?

Not a Ubuntu user but

/etc/rc.local is usually the last thing to run so I think you are correct in assuming X is at fault
What happens if you login on a text console and type in startx?
Does ubuntu have a command-line utility to configure X or do you use the standard X one?
Blow away the X config file and force it to reconfigure?
/var/log/messages anything about X?

hi mojo,

heres a copy of what ithink is the log…
not sure about the other questions you have asked but hopefully the log file will help…

cheers

i VESA(0): Total Memory: 256 64KB banks (16384kB)
(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes
(II) UnloadModule: “vesa”
(II) UnloadModule: “int10”
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: “vbe”
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvbe.so
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found[/i]

Last bit of the file, that’s your problem, a failure to correctly identify the screen so X unloads.

try sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org from a terminal and see if you can set your scren up correctly - display adapter will probably be OK

right i tryed running that command but it said it wasnt a valid command so i changed it to

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and that gave me a config screen which asked me about irq’s n things that i dont really have much idea about at all.

i accepted the defaults as the stuff on screen said that should work, but alas still no X :frowning:

if it helps the machine is a sony vaio vgn-cr11z it has an ati x2300 graphics card…

I seem to remember reading about something similar when browsing the Ubuntu forums , They used the ‘alternate CD’ install method , apparently it gives you more options .

Does X work when the system boots up the Live CD?

I’ve always used the Alternate Install CD because I cant be bothered to boot into Ubuntu to install it…I just want it on the system ASAP.

For more options, I’m not really sure what Mortlake means. Certainly when I run the alt disc, it offers a choice of display resolutions you want the machine to be able to display but from memory, thats all it asks you to do regarding the screen/x setup.

I’ve never used the alternate Cd method myself , but came across a post predicating its use with Sony Vaios and ATI graphics whilst researching an X problem where I was limited to 600 x800 resolution with an ATI card on a loft cruncher . (most of my X problems seem to caused by ATI chipsets )

using the normal 7.10 disk it fails to boot to X with the very unhelpfull error of “unable to start X”

using the alternate cd i was able to get ubuntu installed but not able to start X. i accepted the defaults wich said if i chose none it will use the highest res it can find that works.

i found this thread on the ubuntu forums

seems the guy had the same problem as me but his friend managed to fix it and he hasnt posted how :frowning:

Can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

if i can work out how to do it in lynx :S

ah ha

linky

god bless FTP :smiley:

After a little Googling it seems that this is a problem with most distros , a few hits point here and here leading to this

This also looks promising

No screen size in xorg.conf - no wonder it wont run X. You can always add it in manually, section is called “Display” run man xorg.conf to get the syntax.

woo i fixed it. turned out to be the graphics card driver throwing everything off, took me ages to work out but in the end a quick apt-get install flgrx and reboot

cheers folks

Nice one :thumbsup: and thanks for telling us clueless lot how it was done, that’s how we all learn.