vBulletin vs phpBB

Is vB worth the cash. What’s the key benifits?

concider invisionboard as well

i have set it up for 2 diff places and found there to be no problems with it and there are a lot of “hacks” and “mods” to it as well

ibplanet for skins, mods and hacks

It all despends on how many members you have on the forum

PHPBB is very good and nice and fast, invisionboard as atopperuk said it anougher good forum

I currently have 80 members. I hope to grow it to a fairly popular forum.

All the forums seem to be much of a muchness hence my question. Is there something that vBulletin or IPB can do that phpBB can’t?

I find phpbb better than IPB (abit harder to set groups ect up) but vBulletin can do alot more than phpbb cant but 90% of it you would not use

Originally posted by True
I find phpbb better than IPB (abit harder to set groups ect up)

strange i never had any problems setting up groups

lol I mean harder that vb to set up no hard full stop. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been playing with vB recently and although it’s good, I don’t think it’s really worth the cash over phpbb. vB can do more, but not that much more and I think that after phpbb 2.2 comes out the gap will be even smaller.

Haven’t got any opinion from a board admin myself, as I have never set up any forums (or even moderated).

However, from an end user POV, I have always found phpBB the better forum to use.

From an end user perspective, I find one big omission in phpbb, that is the mark that shows which threads you have posted in. Ok, it’s pretty minor but it’s a feature I like a lot.

Originally posted by mackerel
From an end user perspective, I find one big omission in phpbb, that is the mark that shows which threads you have posted in. Ok, it’s pretty minor but it’s a feature I like a lot.

I also miss that feature :frowning:

I believe there is a phpbb hack that adds that feature. There are hundreds, its just a matter of finding the right combination to satisfy as many of your board users as possible.

DT.

I prefer phpBB :slight_smile:

My personal favorite free forum script is phpBB, but you’ll need to have mySQL on your server to run it, and if you’re not familiar with the database structure of your server, you’ll want to have a MySQL administration console… it makes it a lot easier to manage your databases (free as well, but your webhost may charge for that service).

Demo : free forum hosting

google doing it’s think again with really old threads :frowning:

DT.

Should replace links with Crunchy hog links…