Vista Virgin

I went from XP to a errr…three boot system. Xp/Linux/Windows 7 System.

So when a neighbour said Dee (they all call me Dee, no idea why) “can you have a look at my Dell Lappy for me, it’s been in a drawer 'cos it it was weird - heck, I’m not sure even how to turn it off !”

So I’ve had a look. The standard Norton had timed out a year ago, so I’ve shifted that and replaced it with AVG free. I’ve slapped on a-squared and spybot, CCleaner, run them, and there’s no probs.

I ran windows defrag, after quitting all the Dellish background tasks and after three hours, I got fed up of waiting, never had it run that long on 41 gig usage before. So I installed Defraggler, and ran that, because it’s usually much quicker.

After 5 hours, I’ve started again in safe mode. It’s a bit quicker, but not much. I’ve checked task manager, and everything in there is ok.

Would this be normal for Vista?

From memory of my Vista rig, no.

But then I guess it depends on the defragmentation etc. I’ve had a drive go on for hours before (XP it was on) so I just left it overnight and that sorted it.

My VISTA system has not had that problem. Try running System Mechanic free version to see if there are any issues.

If not then try PC Tools Internet Security free trial to see if there is any spy/spam ware slowing it up. They won’t fix them until you purchase the full versions, but they will at least report any problems they find.

Go here and download the trial version: http://www.diskeeper.com/Diskeeper/professional/professional.aspx

It is well worth every penny to purchase though, after one manual defrag I have not done so since… and never seen more the two percent fragmentation, and the not for very long. That is with 100’s of GB downloaded and deleted a week too.

Make sure after initial defrag you do a boot defrag also, so the MTF gets defraged as well.

TuneUp 2010 is absolutely terrific , again well worth the price!!! plus you get a 30 day full version, no nag test version…

or just reload { maybe throw in a fresh HDD; Especially if the drive is close to full}

Thank you, I’ll try all those. Guess I’ve got used to Win 7.

Seems Lappy’s and Netbooks are getting very popular around here (I suspect due to a rather successful Littlewoods agent) so if something looks/feels wrong, they head for the guy with two monitors :slight_smile: who only charges chilli peppers and/or a bucket of whelks, or if I’m really demanding, some proper Black Pud.

^ Apart from a jail sentence and a hefty fine… oh yes, and the price difference, not a lot.
Amazon, PC World, Curry’s etc., all can supply the original sofware. By the way, the PLOD SQUAD should be banging on your door any day… it pays to advertise. :smiley:

Apart from a jail sentence and a hefty fine… oh yes, and the price difference, not a lot. Try Amazon, Curry’s and PC World etc., who should be able to supply the original software.
Hurry, though, as the PLOD SQUAD will be knocking on your door any day now… it pay’s to advertise. :wink:

Admins please remove dreadful blatant :spam: entry above…

I see no spam :whistle:

:chuckle: Nicely done Spaceboy :smiley:

[QUOTE=Sport;450351]TuneUp 2010 is absolutely terrific , again well worth the price!!! plus you get a 30 day full version, no nag test version…

or just reload { maybe throw in a fresh HDD; Especially if the drive is close to full}[/QUOTE]

Yeahh ive got that, very good :slight_smile:

Gee late again for lunch… You could have saved me some:)