vnc on yellow dog

I put yellow dog linux 6.2 on my PS3 on the weekend so I can crunch something other than folding. Install went smoothly, got a pre-prepared boinc stuck on and it’s now happily doing AP26 subproject on primegrid. I picked that distro as it seemed most popular on PS3.

I’d like to mess about with the desktop, without it tying up my TV which is connected to the PS3. VNC is the obvious choice, but I want to run it like it does on a PC. That is, what you get in front of the monitor is what you get over VNC. So far it seems to create a new virtual desktop with nothing on it.

Packages installed include:
vnc 4.1.2-9.ppc
vnc-server 4.1.2-9.ppc

I can’t find a gui configuration for VNC. Googling around showed some advice for older versions of ydl which no longer seem to apply to 6.2. Wondering if I should have just stick ubuntu on… at least I can find it on there.

On command line vnc[tab] gives me following options:
vncconfig
vncpasswd
vncserver
vncviewer

If I run the server, it prompts for a password and creates a new desktop :1 which I can connect to, but is new, not what I get on main display. If I try to start a server on :0 it says there is one already running. But vncconfig on :0 says there isn’t and doesn’t do anything.

How hard can it be?

have had the same problems on Ubuntu - never got to the bottom of it :frowning:

strange, I got it working on my ubuntu, it did require some x-fiddling though I think. I may have even resprted back to Mojos guide that is on here.

I hope to have got rid of enough of this cold to be back in the office tomorrow, I’ll post the configs if I do make it.

DT.

Hmm… I might have to look up another VNC implementation and see if there is a more sensible one.

If memory serves me right, Ubuntu (on PC at least) was simple. VNC equivalent was called something like remote desktop option somewhere in the login configuration window.

I’ve now downloaded Ubuntu for ps3 in case I decide to try it later…

[QUOTE=mackerel;449851]Hmm… I might have to look up another VNC implementation and see if there is a more sensible one.

If memory serves me right, Ubuntu (on PC at least) was simple. VNC equivalent was called something like remote desktop option somewhere in the login configuration window.

I’ve now downloaded Ubuntu for ps3 in case I decide to try it later…[/QUOTE]

VNC into Ubuntu is easy - Remote desktop as you say - found under System - Preferences , just tick the right boxes - its pretty intuitive - having Samba installed with your BOINC folder shared makes life easier if you use Boincview or similar to monitor and control your crunching from a windows box.

Attempted to install ubuntu… so slow the screensaver (blank screen) kicked in before it booted so I didn’t know it was waiting for me. Even though I put the install boot command it took me to desktop. Gave up at that point as the whole evening passed by. Rebooted back into ydl to resume crunching. Hear that maybe I should have gone for the alternate CD install…

VNC is probably moaning that your display :0 (ie your TV) is in use, hence it can’t configure it because its not a VNC display. Could also be firewall related, VNC needs (from memory) ports 8900+ open to work. Then there’s the X config… don’t use VNC anymore so I can’t really point you at an up to date version that works, are there YDL forums for PS3?

Firewall is not an issue, I could reach the virtual desktop on VNC no problems.

Yes :0 was in use in the sense that’s what I was seeing on the TV. But that’s what I also want to see over VNC, just like every VNC implementation I’ve used on windows does.

At this point I’m thinking I’ll just leave it running as a cruncher. Never mind remote access.