WANTED: Lifemapper siggy counter!

See title! :wink:

p.s. A stats page would also RULE!!! :nod:

barcode and Mincer are currently looking at resurrecting the TPR siggy counter, I believe olā€™green ears is going to sort out the code and let barcode have a shufty.

I would do it but my problem is working out how to parse the XML data from the Team page - my parsing skills are a little rusty, if someone can help me with that I can certainly do the rest :nod: And if the parsing can be sorted, I donā€™t see why a stats page canā€™t be generated from the output :slight_smile:

Also, the LM stats are only updated every day arenā€™t they? In which case weā€™d probably have to only hit their servers once dailyā€¦

BTW the XML stats are here:

http://www.lifemapper.org/lm-individualmembers/lm-memberstats/FullMembersReport.xml
http://www.lifemapper.org/lm-individualmembers/lm-memberstats/FullGroupsReport.xml

Iā€™m not really going to look at Mincers codeā€¦ I just gonna host it.

As for writting a siggy counter for LM Iā€™m flat out at work at the moment and outside of work Iā€™m implementing a BitTorrent application.

Iā€™ll happily host anything anyone writes. I can host Perl, PHP, C, C++, Java and probably others.

Originally posted by barcode
[B]Iā€™m not really going to look at Mincers codeā€¦ I just gonna host it.

As for writting a siggy counter for LM Iā€™m flat out at work at the moment and outside of work Iā€™m implementing a BitTorrent application.

Iā€™ll happily host anything anyone writes. I can host Perl, PHP, C, C++, Java and probably others. [/B]
Oh, okay thenā€¦ if I can get a look at Mincerā€™s parsing (ooer!) I may be able to sort something out :slight_smile:

I got a crayon in hand and drew a really good looking one on the monitor. But the only thing is it is still manual update canā€™t figure this auto update thing out. :smiley:

Originally posted by jimwyser
I got a crayon in hand and drew a really good looking one on the monitor. But the only thing is it is still manual update canā€™t figure this auto update thing out. :smiley:

:lol: :lol:

'ello, me wantsss Lifemapper counter!

Originally posted by metz2000
'ello, me wantsss Lifemapper counter!

eloquent. :nod:

I would offer to help but I havenā€™t the slightest idea how to recognize code, let alone write it.:frowning:

Iā€™m happy to cheer you on though. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Originally posted by richardlellisjr
[B]eloquent. :nod:

I would offer to help but I havenā€™t the slightest idea how to recognize code, let alone write it.:frowning:

Iā€™m happy to cheer you on though. :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: [/B]

This should get you started!

:wink:

Originally posted by riddlermarc
[B]barcode and Mincer are currently looking at resurrecting the TPR siggy counter, I believe olā€™green ears is going to sort out the code and let barcode have a shufty.

I would do it but my problem is working out how to parse the XML data from the Team page - my parsing skills are a little rusty, if someone can help me with that I can certainly do the rest :nod:
[/B]

Which language are you using Marc? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Starfish
Which language are you using Marc? :slight_smile:
English :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, couldnā€™t resist that one - ideally Iā€™ll be using php but I can slum it and code in ASP on my home server then auto-upload the pages to the TPR serverā€¦ can do both so Iā€™m easy :slight_smile:

PHP ideally eh? :wink:

Youā€™ll have an e-mail soon :slight_smile:

Had a ickle look at this xml stuff, its blown my mind :dizzy:

Darn so many formats to XML, think iā€™ve worked out the
lifemapper stats are an ADO persisted XML file.

Too complex to get my head around, can just about cope
with parsing HTML.

Just holler if you want the PHP for HTML pull I use

It could be used to at least kick it off something before getting
some proper code in place.

It just needs some cleaver sod to split the prog into 2
make one part write out the data to file, then the second
half to read it back in to create the siggie counter.

The code pulls direct everytime at the mo, but if the elements
are split and say one set up as a cron job to run daily and
get the html stats.

The the second part will only get data off the hosting site and
serve up the siggie.

PMM:

You have received an e-mail as well regarding the combination of PHP and XML.

It certainly has the potential to make your life a lot easier :wink:

:slight_smile:

edit: typo

Thx Starfish :thumbsup:

Was starting to think that VB was the only way forward
which I know nowt about, I managed to get a few snippets
of PHP info that made things a ickle easier to understanding
ways to parse that type of XML format but not ideal as it
involved pre-proccessing and secondary processing.

So hopefully your Email maybe the key.

My PHP skills sux but iā€™m off work this week so I might have
a bit of time to have a play.

Certainly the right route Starfish :thumbsup:

this is the output iā€™m getting at the mo after some basic
messing aroundā€¦

www.brittech.co.uk/test3.php

Looking good! :thumbsup:

One tip that might also help:

Take a look at my data in the array for example:

$array[596][#] = ā€œā€
$array[596][@][ID] = ā€œ544ā€
$array[596][@][Name] = ā€œStarfishā€
$array[596][@][AddressWWW] = ā€œhttp://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/distā€
$array[596][@][TotCPUTime] = ā€œ2288486ā€
$array[596][@][JoinDate] = ā€œ2003-04-26T03:51:06.587000000ā€
$array[596][@][EMail] = ā€œā€
$array[596][@][TaxaComputed] = ā€œ575ā€
$array[596][@][NumOfJobs] = ā€œ821ā€
$array[596][@][Country] = ā€œNetherlandsā€
$array[596][@][PrefCountry] = ā€œNetherlandsā€
$array[596][@][CPUGroup] = ā€œBBR Team Ecologyā€
$array[596][@][CPUGroupID] = ā€œ24ā€
$array[596][@][PrefDataProvider] = ā€œAcademia Sinica Institute of Zoology, Taipei, Taiwan.ā€
$array[596][@][GroupAddressWWW] = ā€œhttp://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/distā€
$array[596][@][PrefTaxonGroup] = ā€œFishā€

Iā€™m in the array in ā€˜slotā€™ 596ā€¦ but I have a Lifemapper id of 544.

Especially when youā€™re going to store information in the databaseā€¦ it might be very handy to:

• Store my data using a row id of 544 in your database instead of using auto-increment

• Retrieve the array in such a way that you can access my member name like this

$array[544][@][Name] = ā€œStarfishā€

instead of

$array[596][@][Name] = ā€œStarfishā€

That way you can keep all the idā€™s for a certain user the sameā€¦making your life a lot easier!!

Example:

ā€œHelp: I need the name of the member with LM Id 544! How do I get it?ā€

Simple: $name = $array[544][@][Name];

instead of finding out that you need to access the name of the member with id 544 via array id 596 ā€¦

Besides/Also:

You can exchange data between database information of a user with $ID and the array[$ID][etc]

See where Iā€™m going? :slight_smile:

Once again Iā€™d heavily recommend using that

<pre>;
print_r($array);
</pre>;

thing as wellā€¦gives a ā€œtreeviewā€ of the arrayā€¦so you can easily find out if you can still start one level ā€œdeeperā€ or not

Cheers starfish, I canā€™t read your email till I get to work tomorrow but it does sound pretty interesting.

My personal SETI counter pulls my info from the berkeley XML personal pages on an hourly basis and writes it to a database. Iā€™m definitely planning to push the XML data for LM to a database and interrogate it further from there :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll let you know how I get on!

Cheers starfish, I canā€™t read your email till I get to work tomorrow but it does sound pretty interesting.

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile:

I think the e-mail will help get you started as wellā€¦and Iā€™ve got no problems at all giving some advice to other teams. :wink:

[B]
My personal SETI counter pulls my info from the berkeley XML personal pages on an hourly basis and writes it to a database. Iā€™m definitely planning to push the XML data for LM to a database and interrogate it further from there :slight_smile:

[/B]

That would be the way to go I think. :woot:

I donā€™t think itā€™s good for the LM project if every hit of each sig. counter downloads a 700K (or so) XML source :flip:

Iā€™ll let you know how I get on!

Iā€™m looking forward to see the creations of TPR :cheers:

BTW:

Sorry if I use too much smilies every now and thenā€¦ I just love some of those availableā€¦ and BBR has a somewhat different set :rotate: