We Moved Up!

TPR moved a notch up to 37 in POEM!
Anyone want to jump on the project?

Hadn’t heard of POEM. It appears to be similar to Folding. May give it a try.

Go on then… setting up some boxes right now. See it uses GPU too, what’s the effective speed of CPU vs GPU? Obviously wont run CPU if GPU makes it redundant…

Just looking at team rankings, now 36 in RAC, 128 in total credit.

Observation on GPU so far: AMD units don’t seem to take any significant CPU (~2%). nvidia unit is hogging a whole CPU core.

Just seen some results go through…

R9 280X does it in about 2000 seconds for 8400 credits.
GTX 560 Ti does it in about 10000 seconds + 1 CPU core for 8400 credits.

One core of Q6600 does it around 6000 seconds for 50 credits.
One core of i7-2600k (HT enabled, running other projects still) does it around 4000 seconds for 50 credits.

If credit is indicative of useful work done, there is practically no point running it on CPU?

[QUOTE=mackerel;467020]Just seen some results go through…

R9 280X does it in about 2000 seconds for 8400 credits.
GTX 560 Ti does it in about 10000 seconds + 1 CPU core for 8400 credits.

One core of Q6600 does it around 6000 seconds for 50 credits.
One core of i7-2600k (HT enabled, running other projects still) does it around 4000 seconds for 50 credits.

If credit is indicative of useful work done, there is practically no point running it on CPU?[/QUOTE]

Welcome aboard. . . gee didn’t take you long to blow past me.

I still can’t get GPU units, what am I doing wrong here Mackerel. Video card is AMD Radeon HD 6670; didn’t think I was that ignorant (or old). . . but must be. ~smiles~

Jump on!

I’ve no idea how I got the GPU units. Just make sure they’re enabled in project preferences, boinc preferences, and not disabled on the client side.

I joined the project, and there they were. The room suddenly got very hot and noisy! I can’t run like that… actually seeing these results, I think it might be better if I don’t run CPU at all, and only run GPU. That will help keep the heat down and credit up. The fast GPU is in my gaming rig so I wont use that. I could rearrange some slower ones into other boxes on the weekend.

@Vortex - Are you on the latest AMD drivers on your 6670?

Yep, I’m a nut about checking my drivers.
14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software
13.251.9001.1001-140704a-173665E-ATI Driver
Sending you a PM.

Correction: missed the last update and installing now.

Updated to the latest beta drivers and GPU units have arrived!

You should see a good boost in score once the GPU units start going through.

I just found out I’ve not been getting any credits for the last day or two. I’m only running two boxes. One had a boinc crash. The other rebooted as I’m running the Win10 preview, and that will restart itself to update with little warning. But I should be going again now. Maybe make up for it by adding another box… :smiley:

How many cores you running on CPU POEM? You currently have 100% of cores and 75%CPU time… you want to run a reduced number of cores, say 6 instead of 8, you could changed them to 75% of cores and 100% of the time. You might find that would also drop your GPU times as it allows 1 core to feed the GPU. Also would drop your CPU temps

I’ve got a couple of ASUS AMD R7 250 (1GB DDR% version) running POEM and they performing quite nicely on POEM, giving me 60+K per day and they are quite cheap… approx $100… if you swapped your HD6670 for one you’d see a nice little boost.

dropped in a few to poem, mainly to check my games rig I powered up for the first time in over a month, still works :smiley:

It’s a good thing you did O’mighty one. Thought I was going to have to locate the whip and have a talk with you. ~smilles~

[QUOTE=TheFiend;467030]How many cores you running on CPU POEM? You currently have 100% of cores and 75%CPU time… you want to run a reduced number of cores, say 6 instead of 8, you could changed them to 75% of cores and 100% of the time. You might find that would also drop your GPU times as it allows 1 core to feed the GPU. Also would drop your CPU temps

I’ve got a couple of ASUS AMD R7 250 (1GB DDR% version) running POEM and they performing quite nicely on POEM, giving me 60+K per day and they are quite cheap… approx $100… if you swapped your HD6670 for one you’d see a nice little boost.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help! Was just the trick needed. Though I still can’t run a 100%; took it up though to 75%. The temp as DT pointed out may be erroneous. . . but till I’m sure I’m going to play it safe.

TPR up to 35th in RAC!

And Mortlake kicked up dust in my face when he flew by me. . . Show off!
Cheers

Tried to get my test rig into the fray, currently running Windows 10, worked OK for an hour, then did a version update, no GPU detected all of a sudden. Seem to have sorted that, but still no GPU units.

When I had win 10 running it changed something that made my video card undetectable. Even though listed on my hardware list and driver manager; AMD driver site said I had no supported hardware. Even when I reverted back to 8.1 with just slightly outdated driver. I did a complete uninstall of all amd, updated and that is when I started getting units from POEM. Maybe one of these wonderful geeks here can figure out what win 10 was doing.