Web hosting ideas please

I’m looking for a reliable web host and domain name supplier please. All suggestions gratefully received.

Found UK2.net, will supply a .net domain for two years and 1 years host with 100gb monthly bandwidth allowance for £45.97. Features include:
* 3 GB Webspace 1 year
* CGI/PHP support 1 year
* MySQL 1 year
* Website Statistics 1 year
* Webspace sharing (10 domains) 1 year
* 5 extra POP e-mail addresses 1 year
* IMAP support for domains 1 year

Anyone know if this is good or bad (including the supplier reputation) and if bad any alternatives please?

TPR runs off a 123reg dedicated server, we’ve had one noticeable DNS downtime but no problems. But then having root access to a box is a little different to a shared hosting account.

DT.

Any issues with ftp at all, as I already have the basic site in place, just need to upload it to start off (nothing fancy, just basic html with java and javascript thrown into the mix - no cgi or php, etc).

That sounds good. I was with a chap that Damski recommended but then the company got bought out and the service became terrible.

Now I host myself. Not as reliable but I have full access to everything I want.

I’ve got my domain name from Freeparking and they also do my email account (a 20Mb mail server for £5 a year) I believe they also do web hosting and I’d recommend them.

Thanks Drezha :thumbsup: I’ll have a look at that later.

hosting unlimited FTW :smiley:

oh and with a 123-reg controlling my domain :smiley:

hosting unlimited don’t really exist anymore :wink: they’ve been taken over by some other company. But yes my www.doubletop.org.uk and www.stattomatic.com are both still on my HU account and server. It just seems to work, but no way would I use them for anything business wise :nono:

Droid, if it’s a little site, no server side scripting PM me some details and I can sort out for cheaper - that is you could piggy back onto the TPR server like some others have for a donation :wink: (not allowed to resell) into the TPR coffers :slight_smile:

DT.

This site might help…

End of the day its a weigh up between cost you want to pay & service their will to give at that price bracket.

If you have money to splash your going to get a good customer service, if your after doing it cheap your going to get little in the way of customer service.

I still have a HU account :wink: but don’t rate them on the customer service side.

I have account with 34SP which its costing me sub <£50 … 800MB disk space & 8GB monthy transfers… Not earth shattering spec but there Tech Support / Customer Service I do rate and email responces are excellent.

This thread has just reminded me I set up hosting with swordfish (now si4) years ago but never did anything with it. Just dusted it down, might as well use it as I’m still paying for it.

Can’t remember how I got there, but it was some connection to this forum at the time.

TPR was hosted on Swordfish :wink: The good owner is a member here :slight_smile: aka Muppet #9

That certainly counts as a connection :smiley:

I’ve probably had the same text “under construction” notice there for the last 3.5 years…

[QUOTE=PMM;412203]This site might help…

End of the day its a weigh up between cost you want to pay & service their will to give at that price bracket.

If you have money to splash your going to get a good customer service, if your after doing it cheap your going to get little in the way of customer service.

I still have a HU account :wink: but don’t rate them on the customer service side.

I have account with 34SP which its costing me sub <£50 … 800MB disk space & 8GB monthy transfers… Not earth shattering spec but there Tech Support / Customer Service I do rate and email responces are excellent.[/QUOTE]

That’s a great “steer-clear” review if ever I saw one. Thanks for the heads-up Paul :thumbsup:.

@ DT. Interesting idea. Do I just arrange my own domain and then it can be hosted on your server? The site is currently hosted HERE due to an error on my part with the original location (I didn’t log into the dial-up account in 6 months and it was deleted :doh: ). The full site only weighs in at about 7mb in size, so it’s tiny by most standards.

Found a great review on this company www.servage.net

Decided to take the plunge and go with Servage.net. Surprised at how easy it was to sign up. They took care of the domain name at no cost to me and set up the hosting at a cost of £4.50 a month ( I signed up for 14 months) which I feel is very reasonable.

Access to the site is easy, web pages can be added manually via the on-site file manager or by FTP (I’m using Ipswitch WSFTP). The only thing I have to do outside the site is set up either Outlook for e-mails or I can use Squirrelmail from a link on the site (I haven’t decided which way to go yet). So far very please and the new site is up and running NORTON CERAMICS

Digging this up but after a brief look around I bought some space and a name with 34SP.com after PMM’s recommendation and the review on review centre.