Web Tools

I´m trying to get data from a website thats in a fairly predictable structure.

Its all table data and I could probably awk out the bits I wanted as the tables are constant on all the pages I´m interested in but I was wondering if anybody has used a suitable utility for pulling table fields from HTML.

Depends what your exactly wanting to do and the format you wanting it in.

If its simple data i’d hather a guess a Excel webpage import world get you what you need.

//edit and if you were un aware… most apps on a PC if you select open as in looking for a file on your harddrive and type the http addy it will import the website.

I do that with note pad on sites and think are dodgy before opening in a web browser same applys to excel will grab the page
else there is that web grab fuction somewhere.

wget grabs webpages. Think slight overkill for what you need.

PMM, on linux, I don’t think OOo is good enough to pull data from tables. At least I couldn’t find out how without downloading the page to the hard drive first.

Using wget already Drezha, its dismantling the data from wget thats the next challenge.

I’ll fiddle with awk for a bit

If you’ve already got the pages, Open office might be able to grab the data for you. Depends on what you then want to do with the data afterwards…

Yeah but I want to script it, cut and paste is far too interactive for me.

20 lines of script to collate 1000 web pages into a handy CSV file.
Rain has stopped play in the garden, if it rains any harder I’ll need a diesel strimmer with a Snorkel. Getting fed up with wet and covered in pureed slugs :frowning:

Awk sounds much more appealing :nod: