What a noisy sucker this is!!!!

Just booted up my bosses Advent PC in order to start backing up files in advance of the bios reflash…WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!

I thought something was loose in the case and the fan was touching it, but no. This machine has a whacking great cone coming from the CPU fan which sucks the hot air off the CPU, but what a blimmin’ racket it makes. I’ll have to ask him when I get back if it’s always been been like that.

I know for one that I couldn’t stand it. These PCs, taking into consideration the other issues, are really pants. How PC World get away with it, I’ll never know. :nono:

I used to sell a lot of Ebuyer stuff thanks to PC World prices :chuckle:

Does it have bios settings for the fan speed?

Probably options named - Hoover | LeafBlower | HoverCraft | Harrier JumpJet(rackmount only)

:lol: Not that I’ve found after a quick flick through the bios. There isn’t even a PC health status to check the CPU temps :rolleyes:

download speedfan and muck around with the fan speed percentages. see if you change them if it makes a difference. all it doesnt it drop the voltages to the fans in question and hopefully make it a bit more bearable

I did see a great fan noise reducing tip the other day…Volt modding the case fans by removing the wires and chainging the wires position in the plug socket. Can get a 5V and 7V fan, of which they’ll shift less air than standard. And thus less noise. I’ll dig it out if you need it.

Be interesting to have a look at if you can find it Chris. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Erm
With it being your Bosses PC and having no CPU temp monitoring I’d probably leave the wiring alone unless your already at the interview stage on another job
:slight_smile:

Indeed, if the boss hasn’t asked you to repair it specifically I’d leave well alone :nod:

iirc, standard molex connector = 4 cables, red, yellow & 2 black, 12V, 5V & 2 earth so, red-black = 12V, red-yellow = 7V, yellow-black = 5V.

If any of you remember my big blue watercooled case I had a switch setup on the front of that that meant I could switch from 12 - 7 - 5 - 0 , for the most part it ran at 5, I did run it at 0 for short periods of time but the db difference was nil.

anywhoo…

Laggy bands usefull :wink: one or 2 on the fins can stop the zinggggg