What camera detector ??

I am of the opinion that the Highway Code and all associated speed laws need bringing up to date to take account of the better driving ability and stopping ability of all new cars.

I am in favour of de-restricting motorways (in fact putting a minimum speed limit of at least 70 mph and banning all HGVs from all roads except between 00:00 and 06:00 - get freight back onto Rail/Canal). By all means have 20mph around schools, shopping centres etc but the rest of the time put appropriate speed meaures in place.

Oh - and all money raised from speeding/drink driving etc should go to a compensation fund for victims of road crime.

And why not fit a system to each car that checks online to ensure the driver is licensed, the car is taxed and insured in the name of the driver. If any of these checks fail, the car will not start. And a GPS system which tracks where you drive, matching against speed limits and automatically fining you for every speed limit you break, applying points to your licence and immobilising the car after you have used up your 12 points.

And to enforce this you declare all cars illegal except those manufactured in the Labour Party Motor Company factories (which also provides jobs for illegal immigrants and all those who claim state benefits).

Some of this is my own opinion, and some stupidity - I will let you work out which is which :stuck_out_tongue:

Just saw this in BBS news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm

Proposed pay-as-you-drive plan based on distance and if it is busy time or not to charge, instead of fuel and road tax. Uses GPS to monitor where you are. Doesn’t take a genius to figure out it could also be used to work out how fast you’re going. Total speed monitoring. Enjoy.

Its not that far away either, BIG Brother is there already.

Spotted this thread being googled so I thought I would exhume it to check the current state of affairs.

I have a Satnav, nicknamed Doris for reasons I cannot remember.
Its a Navman something or other thats very good at giving warning of cameras and the supposedly dangerous stretches of road they are protecting us from.

The maximum design speed for my car is 125Mph so a 100Mph speed is well within its design paramaters.
On a straight dry dual carriageway or motorway free from junctions or curves, I can see very little additional risk from exceeding 70 if traffic permits.
I know the Green element would like to see all speeding curtailed but then the green element would also like you to spend 76p/Mile driving a flimsy lunchbox round and scrap it every four years.
Doesnt sound like a very sensible use of resources to me.

Does anybody still use a dedicated camera detector these days ?

Just Tom Tom. Does all I need and never lets me down except when human error intervenes :slight_smile:

a passenger normally does the trick “slow the :censored: down” :chuckle:

DT.

[QUOTE=DoubleTop;442974]a passenger normally does the trick “slow the :censored: down” :chuckle:

DT.[/QUOTE]

One passenger might not be enough, I think I have 10 speakers and some Prodigy and plans to fit two more subs and a 350w amp at some point.
They might need to speak up a bit
:smiley:

On a similar depressing note, the traffic light redlight cameras are being changed in our area (Poole Dorset) to include a prosecutable speed on green function. Electronic download to the “safety” centre so no chance of running out of film.

No racing for the lights now then!

http://www.dorsetsafetycameras.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=297&Itemid=84

Thats to catch mathematicians out.

Traffic lights phased for a 30mph average speed are also phased for a 60Mph average.[1]
Allegedly

[1] This is of course a pub based anecdote with no factual basis and has never been subjected to field trials, M’Lud

I’ve got the ‘safety camera’ pack for my TomTom, however I see a lot of speed cameras that it doesn’t seem to know about, and it knows a lot that don’t actually seem to exist… so I’ve pretty much taken to ignoring it.

Well… you can always move to Swindon, but obviously comes with a whole lot more disadvantages. Like being in Swindon for one. And it doesn’t apply to mobile sites.

Hasnt stopped somebody setting fire to one on the A420 not half a mile from a Police station.

Do you pay for the updates.
Mine’s pretty good even with the Mway temporary ones. I download the update once every couple of weeks.

I did, but didn’t renew as I wasn’t impressed. I have heard that Pocket GPS World do a much better camera database, so I may well try that one next. :slight_smile:

They have GPS systems that will take you all the way to Morroco too, Pinky had one on loan from them.

Pocket GPS world is my ex brother-in-law and yes their database is quite good. Just buy a Land Rover you’ll never speed again :wink: